incorrect E-mail address

jack 17:31 28 Jun 07

I was passed an E-mail address over the telephone - which I wrote as they spoke and read it back- which was comfirmed
It read - [email protected]

It bounced with the message 'The address must contain a domain.'

Looking through my address book I find others on Sky have " .net " not ".com " as an ender
So I altered it to ".net"
It still bounced
So what form is the corruption/incorrect info taking?
And why some times .co.uk - which is my end
.com- which is some others
.net net sill others ?
And what is a Domain -the ISP name or something else?

p;3 17:33 28 Jun 07

I would ask do you know for definite the e mail address actually exists or are you being conned?

and if someone tells ME an e mail adress and I am at my comp I test it out there and then

Batch 17:54 28 Jun 07

A full explanation of domains is quite lengthy.

However, as the US was the front runner on the internet, it used non-country specific Top Level Domains (TLDs). E.g. .COM, .NET, .ORG

When others got involved, to differentiate they had country specific TLDs. So you end up with .co.uk, .org.uk etc. Each country has its own domain registration authority. Having said that you can easily buy domains from other countries. (e.g. click here) tv is the TLD for Tuvalu but UK's Channel 5 has registered its main site with a .tv

sky.com is a domain as is five.tv as is tiscali.co.uk etc.

jack 19:54 28 Jun 07

Fortunately the individual -who new to Internet use - lives but 5 doors down the road, but I was intrigued
to know about domain names - because that is what the message read - not a known account for example.
How it is the address passed was --sky.com when other names in my book on Sky all end in net.
and having changed this one to net in case it was passed incorrectly- it still bounced,

Sea Urchin 21:19 28 Jun 07

Why not ask your contact to send you an email, and you can then check the address it has come from.

jack 10:45 29 Jun 07

Sea Urchin
Of course -already done.
But the problem remains- understanding the significance differences between. .com-.-net - .org for example
My ISP address ends in .co.uk for example
But in some instances it will come in as .net

ISP's can be .co.uk or .net or .com
whats the subtle difference?

Batch 14:56 29 Jun 07

Technically, sky.net is discrete and separate from sky.com, just as much as fred.com is discrete and separate from bill.com

Sky may choose to have several, similarly named, domains but they are all, as far as the Internet is concerned, distinct from one another. Just like Mr ReddishBrown is distinct from Mr ReddishBrowne - they are two separate people OR it may be one person that chooses to use both names - but they are still distinct names.

p;3 16:37 29 Jun 07

so how WAS this resolved?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…