inconsistent wireless

kevvyb 00:04 23 Nov 05

I cannot understand what has happened to the wireless connection on my laptop. I connect via a router connected to my desktop.

When I first set this up the connection was usually established immediately during the startup routine. Now it often won't connect at all even I if take the laptop very close to the router transmitter. Other times it connects okay.

The signal strength is reported as 'excellent' wherever I locate the laptop.

Clicking on repair the connection sometimes works despite the fact that the repair routine always says the repair could not be completed because the DNS cache could not be cleared. It also reports that my IP address is 'invalid'.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Taff™ 08:45 23 Nov 05

Laptop/Router Make & Model? Operating system?This sounds like an IP address problem so we`ll start with some basic checks. In TCP/IP properties are both settings selected as "Obtain address automatically"?

kevvyb 18:42 23 Nov 05

Thanks for the help.

Laptop = AJP M6000NE Mobile Centrino, 1GB RAM, 2GHz processor.

ADSL Router = 3COM Office Connect 3 COM 3CRWDR100A-72

TCP/IP properties:
IP address was selected to detect automatically
DNS servers was not. Had entered addresses advised by my ISP some time ago but can't remember why now.

Reset DNS servers to be detected automatically and laptop is now connecting wirelessly within seconds of loading all programs into system tray (just as I remember it doing before).

Thanks very much!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now