Incomplete downloaded files, what happens to them?

CurlyWhirly 18:47 02 Jun 05

I was wondering what exactly happens to files that are cancelled in the middle of the download process?
It's just that sometimes I have cancelled a download and I was wondering if the incomplete data file is stored in the Temporary Internet folder?

Also when I run a program such as C*ap Cleaner does it get rid of these incomplete download files?
Just curious!

Technotiger 18:53 02 Jun 05

Hi, I would guess that they are not retained at all - unless you are using something like DAP which holds them for completion at a later date.

Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 18:59 02 Jun 05

Thanks for replying.
I had to cancel a rather large download last night (at nearly 50 mb) as I realised afterwards that I selected the wrong file and this is what got me wondering what happened to it hence my query?

By the way what's a DAP?
Is it some kind of download manager?

Technotiger 19:04 02 Jun 05

DAP - an excellent download manager - available free at click here it allows resume etc,
I definately recommend it - it is faster.

Cheers.

selfbuild 19:06 02 Jun 05

Have you looked in the file that you told it to download too..... Partial downloads will be that folder somewhere....

CurlyWhirly 19:09 02 Jun 05

Technotiger - Do I really need a download manager with broadband as I thought that was intended for dial-up users?

selfbuild - yes I did browse through my download folder (where I downloaded it to) but could not see it after I had cancelled the file.

Cheers!

Jaro 19:10 02 Jun 05

regarding to DAP i thing that the freshdownload is much better than DAP. i had some probs with DAP but fresh is far the best download manager i have ever used. i would go for freshdownload.

Technotiger 19:11 02 Jun 05

Yes, it still makes downloads faster. Have you ever downloaded anything from say, C-Net? DAP is many many times faster.

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:13 02 Jun 05

Have you tried the latest DAP? V.7.01

A big improvement on the previous versions.

CurlyWhirly 19:14 02 Jun 05

Thanks for all the advice on selecting a download manager and I will check them out but I was really after info on what happens to a downloaded file when you cancel it i.e. does the incomplete file just get deleted or is stored in the Temporary Internet folder to be deleted at a later date when you use a program like C*ap Cleaner?

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:14 02 Jun 05

ps - I too have broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…