incomming calls drop my internet connection

robwhitt 13:32 14 May 03

Would somebody help! My connection keeps on getting dropped when a box appears in the top lefthand corner of the screen telling me I have just ignored an incomming call, this then cuts my connection. I don't have call waiting on my phone line and have updated my driver.

stlucia 14:02 14 May 03

If you don't have call waiting, what's generating the message that says you've ignored a call. Could it be an option in the modem setup software which you can unselect?

robwhitt 14:14 14 May 03

I've checked the modem setup. There doesn't appear to be anything there.

graham√ 14:35 14 May 03

1571 message service?

robwhitt 15:20 14 May 03

What is the 1571 message service?

robwhitt 16:08 14 May 03

God I think I've got it. There was icon just labled V92 I clicked on that and that gave me the option to ignore all incomming calls without asking me.

Thanks to stlucia & graham. Cheers guys.

ARTY DAN 16:27 14 May 03

robwhitt,

The 1571 message service is provided by B.T.,
if you are connected to B.T.then you need to ring customer services and find out if you have the 1571 message service. If you do,then when someone
rings you when you are on the internet a message
comes on saying "this is B.T.1571 the person you
are calling is engaged please leave a message after the beep" I think this is right,the caller leaves a message and thats it, hopefully you will not miss any calls using this service.
I don't know if Telewest provide this service or indeed NTL.Hope this helps.

ARTY DAN

graham√ 17:52 14 May 03

What you are missing is that when a message has been left, a 'beep' is put on the line to alert the user that they have a message. This is seen as noise by some modems, whilst v92 see it as a signal to put the internet on hold and offer the call. Because v92s are largely unsupported by ISPs for this funtion, and other modems don't like 'noise', the connection is dropped.

The answer is to turn off 1571 whilst on-line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…