Incoming Connection Alert.

old fiddle 11:37 23 Aug 03

I am a comple novice,bear with me.Received my first PC Advisor frightened me to death with all the talk of virus' etc.Downloaded Kerio firewall
since then I am receiving an almost endless stream of Incoming connection alerts.Someone wants to send me an ICMP packet,details about application, tcpip Kernal Driver. I am denying them all. Could someone please explain how I stop them, apart from uninstalling Kerio. Thank you.

The Sack 11:51 23 Aug 03

If you are a complete novice then Kerio is a bad choice as it is quite complicated to set up.

Try

Zonealarm click here

or

Sygate click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:46 23 Aug 03

If you are on a home computer you will have no chance of being hacked. Hackers are not interested in home rigs. The alerts you are experiencing are merely handshakes from other computers. When you are on the Net you can be bounced through 50 servers and routers. They all need to know that your computer is connected so that they can send you information and these 'alerts' are the routers and servers handshaking your computer. Turn off all alerts and surf merrily.

I would suggest that you dump Kerio as it is difficult to set up and download Outpost firewall from click here. It is easy to use and works silently in the background. There is little need to worry about viruses as most are annoying and easily fixed. If you have an up to date AV you will never need to worry. AVG is a good, free and easy to use AV click here

G

Turkey Tech 12:56 23 Aug 03

As a home user you have just as much chance as being hacked, with the exception of attempts targetted at specific people.

Hackers generally use port scanning software to determine which machines are open to attack. If your machine happens to be in the range of ip's that they are scanning then your firewall will report an intrusion attempt.

Gaz 25 13:13 23 Aug 03

Most of the attemps are legit. network traffic, others may be ones you rather wish to block.

Zonealarm is easy, set the sider and go...

Good luck.

Gaz 25 13:14 23 Aug 03

And turn off the alerts, they only make you like me, worry that is.,

old fiddle 16:20 23 Aug 03

Thank you all for your input I will take it onboard.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…