Income from website

quack 17:48 09 Jan 05

I am webmaster for a small site set up for the members of my Regimental Assoc. It has been suggested that maybe a small income could be gained from the site towards our welfare funds. I haven't yet researched this possibility and would be grateful for any pointers on the best way to proceed and any useful links.

Forum Editor 17:55 09 Jan 05

of making money from a web site:-

1. Sell goods or services from it.

2. Attract so much traffic that companies will pay you to advertise their products on your site, or provide you with a 'click-through' commission each time someone clicks on their advertisement and/or buys something from them.

3. Have content that is so interesting/valuable that people will pay a subscription to access it.

Your site sounds as though it will be of specific interest to a relatively small group of people, and if that's the case you will find it hard to make money from it. Other sites like yours sometimes sell books and memorabilia, ties, scarves etc. to people who share the common interest, but nobody makes much money from that kind of retailing.

quack 18:16 09 Jan 05

Thanks FE Had already thought that the marketplace may be somewhat restricted. Regimental HQ have the sale of Ties etc already tied up (forgive the pun) Think I may just give the whole thing a miss.

mac_gyver 19:40 09 Jan 05

Another option is to join an affiliate scheme whereby you display adverts on your site and when people click on the advert and buy a product/service you get a percentage of the sale.

Amazon is a good place to start click here

You will never make a fortune on a site of your size but I have used it in the past and it pays the running costs (hosting etc) for the site.

Mac

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…