Inastalling XP Home onto Ext Usb H/Disk

DomJolly 14:25 04 Sep 04

Im trying to install my full version of windows XP home onto a 80GB UsB hard disk on a Notebook.
The set starts but gets to a screen where i can select the 80gb disk but when i chose this option i get the error message...Your computers start up cannot gain access to the containing partition or free space you chose.. set up cannot install windows XP home on this hard disk...

My system is a P3 800 Notbook, 256 mb Ram internal 20 gb disk running Millenium. Any Ideas ?

gold 47 14:32 04 Sep 04

I don't think this can be done as you can't install a OS OR boot from a USB Hard drive.
if i am wrong someone will correct my info.

Forum Editor 14:34 04 Sep 04

the Windows installer can't determine that your external drive is bootable, and/or can't see a formatted partition on the drive - have you formatted and partitioned it?

Forum Editor 14:38 04 Sep 04

that your BIOS may not allow booting from a USB port - did you check?

DomJolly 14:43 04 Sep 04

its formated but not partitionedtherefore it remains as a single 78gb partition. the inital boot screen now shows both opperating systems Windows XP and a second named just Windows as an option. at the minute i select the std Windows one and it boots fine.. just can complete the XP installation onto the other disk.

DomJolly 14:44 04 Sep 04

its formated but not partitionedtherefore it remains as a single 78gb partition. the inital boot screen now shows both opperating systems Windows XP and a second named just Windows as an option. at the minute i select the std Windows one and it boots fine.. just can complete the XP installation onto the other disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…