Inadvertant deletion of drivers

badgery 18:56 25 Jan 03

Can anyone help? I appear to have inadvertantly deleted something important when uninstalling a DVD driver. The upshot now appears to be that the two drives D and E, are now NOT appearing when I go to My Computer!! The 'Floppy' A-drive icon is still there, however.
I have three discs (came with my computer,an Acer Aspire) which have not been out of their packets yet - they are called Recovery1/2, Recovery 2/2, and Resource-CD.
Any help, for this fairly computer illiterate, elderly user would be most welcome.

nodrog2 19:50 25 Jan 03

Try this click here

VoG™ 21:43 25 Jan 03

What types of drive are D and E?

If they are CDROM or DVD then Windows should provide device drivers by default. If you go into Device Manager and delete these drives then reboot, Windows should detect them on startup and provide default drivers.

To get into device manager in Windows XP, Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager button, click the + next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives.

For each one shown, right click and select disable.

If either or both this does not work or they are not shown in Device Manager, it will mean a trip to the BIOS. Post back how you get on.

Stuartli 00:08 26 Jan 03

The Windows drivers will also serve a rewriter quite happily.

badgery 08:42 26 Jan 03

VoG thanks, but no devices are showing in Device Manager (only a Samsung SV201 1H, which is the Hard Drive I think!)
I have a Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T, and an LG CD-RW fitted- and have been working happily for months).
A 'trip to BIOS' sounds very complex!

VoG™ 09:23 26 Jan 03

is not too difficult but I am certainly not an expert on that. In preparation for a real expert to show up we need to find out (1) what motherboard you have and (2) how to get into your BIOS.

(1) Do you know the make/model of motherboard and do you have a motherboard manual? If not, download and run this click here and post back the results listed under "Main Circuit Board".

(2) When you start the computer you should see something like "Press DEL to enter Setup" flash up before the Windows logo appears. In that case pressing DEL will get you into the BIOS. To make things awkward, different manufacturers use different keys for this. As well as DEL you could try ESC, F1, F2, F10, CTRL+DEL.

VoG™ 09:30 26 Jan 03

It is possible that a lead has become loose inside the case. I had this myself, although only when I had been fiddling. If you are confident to do this, switch off, open the case and check that the cables are securely connected at both the drive end and the other end (the motherboard).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…