Inaccesible Boot Device

Txerra 10:35 10 May 03

Hi guys,
I just got up to discover that my computer would not boot up this morning.
I have a System running Win 2000 Prof Edition with a Celerom 500 on board.
When I started it up this morning a bit after the Windows 2000 splash screen showed up, the system gave me a DARK blue(almost black) screen with the following message:

stop:0*0000007B(0*818F970,0*C0000185,0*00000000,0*00000000) Inaccesible Boot Device

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow this steps:

- Check for viruses
- Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drives controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configures and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

I have not installed any new hard drive or anything. I did update my Webcam drivers yesterday. However, the computer worked fine afterwards. I did restart the computer several times with no errors whatsoever.

Please how can I do all the above if the computer does not go any furhter into Windows?
I do need to retrieve some data. I think I am going to format it afterwards and install Windows XP.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Maria

Gongoozler 11:23 10 May 03

Hi Txerra. The best reference to this error I have found so far was here click here.

What was suggested at that site was this :-

"the stop code you are referring to is 0x0000007b. This is, --- caused by loading the IDE Device driver from the old machine on the new machine. The Operating System does not have enough time to redetect the new controller before loading the old driver and causing the error. This is normally found after ghosting an Operating System from one computer to another computer with a different drive controller. This can be alleviated by a proper sysprep.inf file."

I don't know if this will help you, but it may trigger further responses.

VoG™ 11:26 10 May 03

This is a duplicate thread click here

Txerra - please can you tick one of these as resolved otherwise it will lead to confusion (for you as well as us).

Gongoozler 11:33 10 May 03

I have also found this thread on a different forum click here

The conclusion was that uninstalling Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum can mess up registry entries.

There was also this advice:- Boot from Win2K CD, Recover Windows, go into Console mode. Copy the file "System" from the \winnt\repair directory to the \winnt\system32\config directory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…