Improving Wireless Network Coverage

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered - couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a search.

I have just installed a Netgear WG834G router via ethernet cable to main pc and wireless connect to modem/router on my laptop via a notebook card (Netgear WG511). After early traumas (!!) it now works fine. I live in quite a big victorian house - router is based in back room used as a study - can get an excellent signal in the nearby kitchen - the lounge only offers a minimal signal and drops regularly. The bedroom offers no signal. I have read improving wireless coverage on the Netgear site. Any suggestions about how I can increase coverage throughout the house - e.g. is it possible to buy something that acts like a 'relay' station to boost signals across a wider area or am I confined to using my bb connection in the kitchen!!?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Diand

merc. 19:22 29 Aug 04

Diand
You can buy a repeater to send the single further through your house.

look at the broadbandbuyer site

merc

mco 19:47 29 Aug 04

Hi diand - I posted similar a few days ago -it's the old problem of living in a solid brick Victorian house - my best room for reception is the bathroom!! I've come round to thinking about a repeater too (saw one for £79.00 in PC world) but if you get yours before I've saved up for mine, let me know if you have any success.

Thanks to both of you. I had a look around and found one on dabs.com for £60. PC World told me that there wasn't anything that would do the job - so much for their 'informed advice'! However, I have bought a 50ft ethernet cable and have moved the router to a different location and now have wireless coverage to a 'very good' or 'excellent' level throughout the house - no loss of speed. At £20 for the cable it was a cheap option.
Thanks for your speedy help.

_plAsma 22:35 30 Aug 04

ive been looking for how to do that to! thanks very much! :>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…