Improving a pc for broadband use.

John B 11:20 29 Dec 04

I have a m/c running XP pro SP2, with a 20GB hard drive and 128K memory. The m/c is about 5 years old, pentium 3 running at about 700MHz.

I don't want to buy a new computer; will a memory upgrade make any difference please (with specific reference to getting the most out of the broadband connection, which is 2Mb)?

Thanks in anticipation

John

Gaz_dc 11:35 29 Dec 04

I am currently setting up an old PC for a neighbour. It is a 350MHz PII with 64MB RAM and 3 GB HD! Although I wouldn't try to play any modern games on it, it accesses the internet as well as my machine, which is a 2800+AMD 512MB RAM – a reasonable spec.

I think the point is that your internet connection will be slower then your computer runs so it should be fine

Irishman 11:43 29 Dec 04

The only thing extra memory will help with is programmes like firewalls and antivirus. It will give a bit of an extra boost when you go to start your browser. I access the net on three different computers, Pentium 2,128 mb (processor held onto motherboard with insulating tape), Pentium 3 733,256 mb and my main computer, Athlon XP 2000, 768mb. In all honesty the only one that's slow when used just for the net is the Pentium 2 and that's only when opening new pages. The speed of your browsing depends on your internet speed not your computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:44 29 Dec 04

128k memory is about bottom limit for XP double that to 256 or even goto 512 you will be amazed at the difference.

Other than a memory upgrade its probably not worth spending any more on a machine that age.

John B 12:25 29 Dec 04

Fruit Bat /\0/\, So a memory upgrade would make a difference with regard to the internet when using XP?

bremner 12:29 29 Dec 04

XP takes an awful lot of memory just to run.

With only 128MB this leaves very little for any other program to run. This means your pagefile is working overtime and this slows up the machine.

By adding another 512MB you will notice a very marked performance increase in everything you do on the computer, not just the internet.

John B 12:52 29 Dec 04

and everyone else; I think I'll check out the 512 memory prices.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 29 Dec 04

Yes especially saved pages they will reload so much faster.

John B 23:14 29 Dec 04

If I buy 2 x 256MB of memory will the original 128 add on to this (i.e. I've 2 spare memory slots), so will I end up with 640MB of RAM?

Thank you!

bremner 23:35 29 Dec 04

Yes it will - but ensure they are all of the same speed.

John B 01:54 30 Dec 04

I've used belarc advisor to tell me what memory I already have, and the crucial memory website motherboard test has recommended the upgrade spec; is this likely to be okay, or is there more detail about my existing memory (for example the speed)if I know how to find it? (which I don't!!!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…