improving my pc

guille_uk 22:27 06 Nov 08

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a new computer and I almost did about 2 weeks ago but all this 'credit crunch' has spoilt the party. What it was £750 one month ago is now over £900. Basically I can't afford that for the moment. I film (XHA1) and edit mostly all the time so I need something reliable. I was considering the option of upgrading my existing computer which is 4 years old but still does the trick (more or less) when editing DV. These are the specs:

AMD 2.8 Athlon 64 single processor
2gb RAM
128 ATI video Card
ASUS kV8-MX motherboard
160gb SATA hd (system files)
XP home 32bit

Could you give advice me of specific parts that I could upgrade which could result in a performance boost for the time being? Also, I could use these new parts on the new computer which I'll be able to buy (hopefully) in a couple of moths time?
I was thinking of buying a raptor 300gb drive and maybe upgrading the graphic cards to a ATI 4850 512mb.

OOpps, I mostly use Sony Vegas and After effects!

any help appreciated!

Thanks!

brundle 22:32 06 Nov 08

You should be running Intel for video work, but you have an AMD system to that's not really applicable. Dual core would be best, you need to find out what motherboard you have, what processors it supports etc.
Do so with SIW click here.

Post back your motherboard details.

guille_uk 09:33 07 Nov 08

Thanks,

these are the details of my mobo:

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model K8V-MX
Version Rev 1.05

North Bridge VIA K8M400 (VT8380) Revision 00
South Bridge VIA VT8237 Revision 00

CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
Cpu Socket Socket 754
System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None

There's something I don't understand. It says Maximum RAM capacity 8192 MBytes and then Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes. How am I suppose to reach those 8192MB????
Also, I know my system HD is using SATA but I don't know whether it would take SATA300 which is the interface that raptor 300gb uses?
What can I improve? anything at all?

thanks!!!

canarieslover 09:56 07 Nov 08

That mother board only takes DDR memory and not DDR2 so any extra memory would not be usable in a later machine. From the age of the board I would think that it does not support SATA300 which would limit transfer speeds on the new hard drive. It's really better to save the money and invest in a completely new machine as and when you can afford it.
click here

Rahere 10:47 07 Nov 08

The most cost effective upgrade is usually RAM - you could buy 2 sticks of 2 gb RAM bringing it up to 4 gb total - that's the maximum in unless it's 64 bit version.

You are tied to AMD. CPU could be upgraded - check your bios version - socket 754 CPUs aren't widely available - ebay probably list a few.

Spec: click here

cpu support - click here

If you find your PC is struggling you can turn off the power management (AMD Cool'n'Quiet/AMD PowerNow!) so you get the full power of the CPU all the time

guille_uk 10:58 07 Nov 08

thanks for you advise guys.

I really needed the upgrade because I've got a high volume of work that I need to deliver so I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new computer instead of messing around with upgrades, I just bought it! these are the specs, let me know what you think:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz 12Mb Cache
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800
300Gb raptor drive 10000rpm sata
500GB Secondary SATA HDD
ATI 3450 512mb PCI Express DDR DVI
ASUS P5K Premium/WIFI 1333FSB-DDR2 1066x2 Crossfire-Intel P35
DVD+/- RW - 20X (pioneer 115D)
Vista Home Premium 64bit

I decided to save up on the graphic card which is something that I will be able to upgrade at a later stage!

thanks!

canarieslover 11:26 07 Nov 08

Right way to go! Better than 'wasting' money now as you would not have got this sort of benefit however much you tried to upgrade what you had.

Rahere 12:00 07 Nov 08

Hopefully you checked your programs will work OK on a Vista 64 bit.... Looks like you have a pretty power graphics card already!

guille_uk 12:07 07 Nov 08

thanks,

I work with Sony Vegas which have already published a 64 bit version and I believe that AFX does as well.
On any case, could I have a partition with XP32 and another one with Vista64?

Also, I would like to use my current computer as a rendering machine so I can keep on editing with new one is there any sort of switch (hardware) that enables you to use monitor/keyboard and mouse on both computers at the same time?

thanks

p.s: I bought the new PC with Cougar based on the terrific reviews on this site!

pj123 12:25 07 Nov 08

You need something like this:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…