improving harddrive?

Rennaissance 17:22 23 Feb 04

Hi, i was wondering if there were any options which could improve performance of it, i feel i am not getting full use ofmy 80gb maxtor hdd. There is an option in BIOS called SMART,what does this do? TIA Ren

tenplus1 17:32 23 Feb 04

Here's a nice little piece of info telling you what SMART is and how it works: click here

The only other way I can suggest to speed up your hard-drive is to enable DMA if it isnt already...

Paranoid Android 17:38 23 Feb 04

The best way to improve individual hard disk performance is to reduce windows page file activity by fitting more RAM.

You can check if your hard disk is performing within expected parameters by running a Sanda hard disk benchmark.

Marvin

woodchip 17:44 23 Feb 04

Chop the drive up into Partitions smaller than 7Gb will Give Cluster size 4kb

Paranoid Android 17:56 23 Feb 04

Yeesss - not sure if it would actually be faster as such....

Marvin

Rennaissance 18:29 23 Feb 04

yep thanks for replies. I will enable SMART and see what happens. I was also thinking of upgrading my RAM too. If i had to partition my hdd iwould have to format, so i won't go there just yet. Its partitioned into one big C: drive.

woodchip 20:22 23 Feb 04

You do not have to format to partition your drive you can use Partition Magic, or Acronis, Partition Manager, etc.

temp003 03:01 24 Feb 04

Defrag your drive regularly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…