Improve wireless adsl signal on network

FOEYDO 08:57 16 Oct 09

Hi, I have a D Link DSL G604T ADSL router which I have had for 3 years. I also have a pair of DLINK 2,4GHZ 6DBI ANTenna to boost signal. My wireless signal is still poor upstairs. How can I boost it. Would buying a new router improve our signal, as the one we have is a few years old or any other suggestions please?

BurrWalnut 13:11 16 Oct 09

It could be interference from nearby electrical/radio equipment. Cordless telephones, bluetooth devices, satellite dishes, microwave ovens, metallic items, remote garage door-openers and other wireless LANs using the same channel as you, can all present problems.

Changing the channel number in the router sometimes helps with connection and speed problems. Channels 1 and 11 are usually the best, but check who, locally, is using the same channel as you. In a Run window (Windows key+R), type cmd /k netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid (note the six spaces) and press Enter. Or for a nice graphical display download, install and run inSSIDer, click here Simply select your wireless adapter from the drop-down menu and click Start Scanning.

setecio 16:22 16 Oct 09

Is the signal having to go through walls at angles and thus effectively become thick walls ? Unplug the router from the adsl and plug it into another electrical socket , don't worry about the adsl for this test as it is just to test the wifi signal.

Solwise homeplugs are an option
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac