Impossible Creatures - cannot detect Directx

bretonmage 10:01 15 Nov 03

When I try to start up Impossible creatures, nothing happens. So, I try to use the IC Config tool, but it sends me an error saying "No valid renderer was detected. Please verify that DirectX is properly installed."

I have run the DXdiag tool from the run menu, and it seems to be working fine (it says its version is 9.0a).

Anybody else had this problem, or have solutions to solve it?

MichelleC 11:43 15 Nov 03

You can do a live update to v 9.0b.

BTW Does Impossible creatures require a 3-d card?

bretonmage 11:47 15 Nov 03

It requires a "16MB/3D" video card (from the back of the case).

MichelleC 12:53 15 Nov 03

If you've recently installed card don't forget to disable onboard g c in bios.

Mango Grummit 13:02 15 Nov 03

There are several motherboards that do not agree with DirectX9. Version 8.1 is as far as some (quite recent ones) will go.

This may or may not be your problem with V9 but if you're not sure must be worth checking.

If you know this already then please ignore my post and accept my apologies (for teaching my GrandMa ... etc).

M

bretonmage 15:56 15 Nov 03

The pc that I'm using is a Toshiba Satellite Pro, and the video card was installed when it was bought. Do you know if this pc has this type of motherboard?

hugh-265156 18:02 15 Nov 03

DirectX9 will work fine with a DirectX8 card

its backwards compatible.

even using a DirectX8 card,some games will ask you to install version 9 for them to work now.

version 9a has some problems as a lot of its make up files are beta.

9b click here is final release and should give less hastle,its also the redist version which means you just download it like any other download then click on it to install.

ps make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…