Importing scanned text to Word

Talypuffer 16:52 13 Dec 03

My PC hard drive is partitioned and one 4GB partition runs Win 98SE, Office 97 and Serif Page plus8, there is 3GB free. I have a Minolta slide scannert(USB) and an Epson Perfection Flat Bed, which has an up-to-date driver. Serif Page plus will access both the Minolta nad the Epson devices in the INSERT-TWAIN menu. When I try this sequence in MSWord only the Minolta device shows in the Twain menu and access to the Epson is not possible. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the different program and scanners with no improvement. Can anyone suggest how to get Word to recognise the Flat Bed as I wish to scan and OCR some documents?

Gongoozler 17:12 13 Dec 03

Hi Talypuffer. My scanner is VERY old, so the sequence is probably different, but I scan into the OCR application and then save the document in rtf format. I then start Word and open or insert the saved file.

ton 17:14 13 Dec 03

I don't know how to get Word to recognise the scanner but can't you use your OCR software to scan, then save as a word file?

MIke 17:19 13 Dec 03

I use textbridge as my OCR software and that inserts an icon on word's toolbar I use that to scan in. Does you ocr software use the same method?
Alternatively try Microsoft Office Scanning found in the Microsoft Office tools menu from the Start Menu.

Stuartli 17:25 13 Dec 03

My Agfa ScanWise program includes the means to set the Destination for a file prior to scanning, including an e-mail recipient, Word etc.

Diemmess 17:41 13 Dec 03

There is no way Word can make text out of a picture.

You must use O-ptical C-haracter R-ecognition first. What software and how it connects and makes a word-readable file is your choice.

canute44 17:53 13 Dec 03

My Hewlett Packard Scanner software has the option in the menu to output text or graphics. I usually scan then set the output to Text and drag the preview into a Word document. Not 100% perfect but easier than typing it all out. You need to set the Word "show/hide paragraph symbols" to show in order to get the formatting right. The crossover software is Iris OCR.

Stuartli 09:22 14 Dec 03

I was using Caere OCR Lite with the 1212u but have just switched to Abbyy Finereader Pro 5.0 (free on the January 2004 issue of Personal Computer World).

It will output the text to whatever program you wish, including Word. In fact you can install a Finereader icon in Word to make the task even easier.

Talypuffer 17:20 27 Dec 03

Thank you all for your comments. Perhaps my title is a little misleading as I cannot scan anything into Word from the flatbed scanner as it refuses to recognise it. There is an OCR icon but on using it I get an error notice about no scanner; the DTP program recognises the scanner but will not work with the OCR! obviously something basic amiss and I suspect an expert is needed to see how to resolve. Happy New Year to you all.

ton 19:40 27 Dec 03

You could try unistalling, then reinstalling the OCR software.

ton 19:52 27 Dec 03

Sorry, re-reading your first post, it seems as if you already have. Can you open the OCR/scanning software in the start menu? You can use the OCR where ever it will open, then just copy and paste into Word.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…