importing outlook files to windows xp & viruses

Rhodie 00:47 20 May 04

OS Currently windows 98SE, Office 2000 premium & Trend internet security antivirus.
I think my computer may have a virus - when I share net folders in outlook tasks/contacts updates to others are being blocked by Trend Internet Security - warning appears trying to take passwords.
Have decided to install a bigger hard drive and install windows XP professional. If I backup my outlook folders onto and external drive then import onto new drive once XP installed what are the chances of transferring the viruses onto the new hard drive? Also, if I backup the files to external hard drive will it infect the external drive?

Rhodie 20:57 20 May 04

someone must know the answer to my question

DJ-Garry 21:14 20 May 04

I did exactly that and all was ok. But you can save the outlook folders and all the contents of your emails and address book by saving the .wab file etc.

DJ-Garry 21:15 20 May 04

Dump them onto a floppy or CD-R and then dump them back to the folder they were in after the clean install.

Belatucadrus 21:18 20 May 04

If there is a virus and it's in an e-mail attachment then it will quite happily survive the transfer process you describe, but Trend is a competent AV package if the signatures are up to date, why don't you trust it ? If you want to double check, try running this click here as it's just a scanner and has no resident protection it's a useful backup check and isn't going to interfere with Trend.

Rhodie 22:17 20 May 04

Belatucadrus
I keep my antivirus patterns uptodate and I've also checked my pc using housecall but I'm still warying because I keep getting these warnings. I wondered if maybe the persons I share my contacts and tasks with have a virus on their pc and that as they are transferred via net folders that maybe the Trend isn't picking the virus up.
Trend has picked up viruses in the past and maybe I haven't followed the correct procedure to get rid of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…