Importing messages to Windows Mail from OE6

PC Thicky 22:16 15 Nov 07

Have bought a new PC with Vista and am trying to import my messages from Outlook Express 6 on my old computer. I have located the .dbx files for sent items and inbox and saved these onto a memory stick. I then ran Windows Mail Import and got as far as "Location - browse". However, when I told it to look in the memory stick at J:\ it said "no items match your search".
I also tried the export command from OE6 on the old computer but couldn't seem to make any sense of it.
What am I doing wrong please? If you go into Mail Help it seems to imply that going from OE6 to Mail is very simple and quote "If you are upgrading your computer from a previous version of Windows, keep in mind that Windows Mail will automatically import messages from Outlook Express". But how?? Sorry if I am as thick as my user name suggests.
Any help much appreciated.
P.S. Will also need to export my address book.

brundle 22:40 15 Nov 07

Was the message `No messages can be found in this folder or another application...`?
Did you choose `Import from an OE Identity" or "Import from an OE Store Directory"?

PC Thicky 08:52 16 Nov 07

Hello brundle and thanks for your interest.
In answer to your questions:

Yes, the message was 'No message can be found in this folder or another application is running'.
As far as I could determine no other application was running.

The button for 'Import mail from an OE6 identity' was disabled so by default I chose 'Import from an OE directory store.'

PC Thicky 22:11 16 Nov 07

I still haven't found a solution to this problem. Would it be better if I tried to import my messages to Outlook rather than to Mail? I thought it would be easier to use Mail which is the successor to Outlook Express (and with which I am familiar) but are there are advantages in using Outlook rather than Mail?

Sea Urchin 22:45 16 Nov 07

Hope this will help you
click here

brundle 23:12 17 Nov 07

Did you import the .dbx files into a new folder, sometimes the import process can be fussy - copy the dbx files across including the container folder and the one above that then try importing from the folder `above` the folder containing the actual .dbx files. Hope that makes some kind of sense...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…