importing messages back into OE from disk?

athenrye 01:09 10 Aug 07

hi folks
i restored my computer back to factory settings
so far so good, i saved everything i wanted to disk and have managed everything so far in replacing all my progs and files etc

i imported my address book no probs

i had a lot of messages that i wanted to keep so i saved them to a cd and the files are .dbx

the thing is i dont know what to do to get them back in my Outlook express
i thought it would be as easy as import and follow the steps, not working though

i have got outlook as well if that helps puting them back in outlook before transferring

thanks
will

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 01:11 10 Aug 07

Restore Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail Rules, Blocked Senders List and other Settings

Import Messages from the Backup Folder

To import your Outlook Express e-mail messages from the Backup folder:

1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
2. In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
3. Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
4. Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder in your backup location
5. Click OK, and then click Next.
6. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Import the Address Book File

To import your Outlook Express address book:

1. On the File menu, click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
3. Click Browse.
4. Locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location, click the address book backup.csv file, and then click Open.
5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
6. Click OK, and then click Close.

Import the Mail Account File

To import your Outlook Express mail account file:

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2. On the Mail tab, click Import.
3. In the Look In box, locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location.
4. Click the mail account that you want to import, and then click Open.
5. Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to import.
6. Click Close.

Import the Newsgroup Account File

To import your Outlook Express news account file:

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2. On the News tab, click Import.
3. In the Look In box, locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location.
4. Click the news account that you want to import, and then click Open.
5. Repeat these steps for each news account that you want to import.
6. Click Close.

athenrye 01:25 10 Aug 07

hi fruit bat
i looked and found that too
the problem is i dont seem be able to find the .dbx files

i go through the process and browse to find and dont see them anywhere, either on disk or when i put them in my docs
the folder is there

i have outlook express six and the its the how to get them back into it, is it because they are .dbx files, did i save them wrong

any other ideas
will

beeuuem 01:46 10 Aug 07

Find the message store in OE at Tools >Options > Maintenance > Message store button.
Close OE.
Copy the dbx files from your CD and paste them into the message store. The messsages should be present when you reopen OE.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 02:23 10 Aug 07

just do a search of the CD drive fror .dbx files

athenrye 10:00 10 Aug 07

hi
ive actually copied the store folder button location when i copied them to disk

the thing is i cant find the location on my computer, i dont have the paths they mention

not to worry when you click import on oe it asks you if you want to import from main identity, which is my message store file

ive copied the .dbx files and placed them in the store folder

then OE says it cant import do it because the file could be used in oe when i then try to import

ive restarted the computer etc and still cant do it

ive download a programme called mail navigator and can open all the messages from the programme so they are saved, i just cant put them back in OE

i have them saved on disk as can see them ive aslo got them in my documents and can see them anmd now have them in my store folder

is there a way to sync the OE with the folder or something!

cheers
will

DieSse 13:21 10 Aug 07

When you import messages in OE, and the wizard asks you to locate the files to import - you don't browse to the .dbx files themselves, you browse to the folder they are in. Only then will they import.

athenrye 23:51 10 Aug 07

hi diesse
ive got that far but a dialogue box opens and says
"no messages can be found in that folder, or another application is running that has the required files open, please select another folder or try closing apps" i have cut it down some!

ive only ever got OE open as i need to do that to import

the mails are there as ive used mail navigator to access them
ive also un installed it just to make sure it wasnt casuing a conflict

im a bit stuck now i think!
will

DieSse 00:11 11 Aug 07

If you've already put them into your current message store, you can't import them from there - they must be in a separate folder elsewhere.

lotvic 00:32 11 Aug 07

You said "ive copied the .dbx files and placed them in the store folder" so delete them (as DieSse has explained they are of no use)

Make a new folder in 'My Documents' name it 'OE email to import' (or whatever you choose) and
copy the *.dbx files from your CD into it

Now do the import proceedure again and choose 'from Store folder' and navigate to the new folder you made in 'My Documents'

lotvic 09:17 11 Aug 07

- just a thought - have you checked that the *.dbx files are actually on the CD and that it is not just a shortcut to the 'store button location' ( as per your post on Fri, [email protected]:00 "ive actually copied the store folder button location when i copied them to disk")

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…