importing on iTunes crashes my PC

shaneoneill 20:17 09 Dec 05

Hi All,

Can anyone help me out, whenever I import a cd on itunes, after about 4 tracks, itunes suddenly crashes my pc! I recently moved my library location to my D drive where there is plenty of room (70+ GB) so its not crashing from lack of space. Any ideas anyone??

dgoldsmith 08:42 27 Dec 05

I'm having the same problem, more or less (isn't four tracks consistently, but the idea is the same) - did you ever find a solution, get a solution elsewhere, or have someone respond to you off list? Thanks!

[email protected]

PS: Also recently added a second, much larger harddisc, and am storing my itunes library there (but boot disc and itunes program are both still on my original "C:" drive) - maybe that's the problem... Maybe I'll try importing first to the c: drive, then dragging to the D: drive; or installing itunes on the D;drive and running it from there; I'll let you know if that works.

mangus 04:25 28 Dec 05

Having same problem -- this is unique to iTunes 6.0 and they have not yet solved with updates. I switched back to v5 and do not have the problem anymore, but recently purchased a video iPod and am now stuck with v6, and cannot import CDs. I'm importing as mp3, 192 variable with highest encoding.

dgoldsmith 03:18 29 Dec 05

Know of a place to download version 5? (Not easily findable at Apple's iTunes site.)

dgoldsmith 03:59 29 Dec 05

Do you two have dual processor or dual core computers? If so, check out:

click here

dgoldsmith 01:52 30 Dec 05

Sorry for the cryptic link: I cut and paste a link to an Apple support doc, but it appears as only a "click here" for some reason; anyway, the suggested fix didn't work in my case (the doc indicated that our problem can occur on dual processor/dual core computers, which I have, and that the solution is to set iTunes' affinity to just one processor, but that didn't work; I also encountered a doc which said that error correction should be turned off, which mine was originally, but I had turned it on in case that was the problem, so I turned it back off, still problem not solved!) So, mangus, I'm back to wanting version 5 of iTunes (or another Windows app which will import aiff) if you know where I can get it. Also, you "speak" as if Apple has acknowledged this bug, but I can't find any evidence of that searching their site - do you know whether or not they know of this problem? Thanks!

shaneoneill 14:46 30 Dec 05

Hi DG,

In my case the problem appeaers to be gone now! My PC has been giving me some trouble of late. So I went out and got a reputable anti virus software - totally cleaned the pc. It seem ed to crash again occaisionally but what I then did was turn off the radiator in the room the pc is in! .. It worked! I think it was over heating, wellat least I hope so. Last night iTunes prompted me to download the very latest version, which i did. Then I imported a CD and it didnt crash! I'm not so sure which method solved teh problem but its working fine for the minute anyway.

tim03 09:40 02 Jan 06

Hey there,

I followed that link and it actually fixed the problem completely for me. I'm running Athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual processors, so I tried the above link. Hasn't crashed since, but it's a bit of a pain because you have to set the affinity each time you reopen itunes and want to import. Oh well, it's better than it crashing every 2 or 3 songs.

Sorry DG, don't know why it didn't work for you, but thanks for the link!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…