Importing emails from CD-RW

Skeletor 10:20 15 Apr 03

I backed up some emails (dbx files) onto CD-RW, but cant seem to get them back into Outlook Express. I've tried using "File/Import" in OE, but it only seems able to import from other email programs and not CD. Incidentally, one of the emails has the serial number for TrueImage, so I cant use that now...ironic eh!(tried registering again....nojoy) Anyone know any good web sites or literature about backing up for beginners. Cheers

Lú-tzé 10:40 15 Apr 03

I can't help with what you mentioned re. importing your dbx files, but to have a good guide to backups click here

HTH.

Skeletor 11:13 15 Apr 03

Thanks Lú-tzé. Should make interesting reading

DieSse 11:42 15 Apr 03

Copy the files onto your hard disk first, into a folder. Then make sure the Read-Only attribute is turned off for the files. Then run the import and browse to the folder you have stored them in. Works fine for me, I do it often on system upgrades.

Skeletor 12:24 15 Apr 03

Thanks DieSse,
Sorry to say that I've tried that only to get an Import Message, "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open." etc. As far as I know there is no other application running, and there are certainly messages there. Cheers

MAJ 12:41 15 Apr 03

When you have the folder on the desktop as DieSse described, go to, in OE, Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder button > Change button, change the Store folder to the one you saved on the desktop, You will be told that there is already a message store there and you will be asked if you want to use it, choose Yes. Your saved messages should now appear in OE after you restart it. Save the emails you want as .eml files and revert back to your original store folder in the same way. Now you have all your present emails, plus the important ones you've just saved as .eml files.

DieSse 12:42 15 Apr 03

Have you tried both with import IE4 set and with IE6 set? - Did you change the option to "import from a message store"? - did you browse to the new folder with messages in it (you should), not inside to the actual files?

exodus 14:54 15 Apr 03

Download a DBX reader from here. click here
Use this programme to read your dbx files and it will convert them back to the eml format and you can then drag them back into OE.

exodus 14:58 15 Apr 03

Look here for a free back up utility for OE. You may find that easier in future if re importing becomes difficult.
click here

Skeletor 21:24 15 Apr 03

Thanks Maj, Worked a treat. Where did you learn to do that. Its not in any books that I've read.

Thanks DieSse, Didn't need to try your way, but it does sound easier.

Thanks exodus, Those downloads will certainly come in handy.

Cheers

MAJ 21:30 15 Apr 03

Glad it helped, Skeletor, it's the way I back up my emails, it saves downloading another program to do it. Sometimes, for some reason, the Import/Export way can be a little problematical, this way works, for me, everytime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…