Importing email addressses into Outlook

shellship 14:06 21 Apr 09

I needed to add some email addresses into Outlook from an Outlook Express address book. Saved the latter as WAB file and imported into Outlook. Lost lots of my email addresses, but not the names, and got lots of duplicates (there were some overlaps). Any ideas why some were lost, please. It's a real pain re-entering the addresses - where I know them, that is.

jack 14:32 21 Apr 09

Save again as as TXT
This is universal format rather than application specific

Woolwell 15:03 21 Apr 09

I take it that you followed this click here
Unfortunately during conversion some mistakes can be made. The alternative is possibly a csv file but I have found that to be a pain too.

Take it we are talking about XP not Vista.

shellship 15:33 21 Apr 09

jack Thanks but that presumably won't recover lost data in my Outlook file.
Woolwell Thanks. I did use the wizard. Yes, it was XP on both machines.

jack 16:35 21 Apr 09

Outlook file.
Depends how 'lost' it is perhaps a search using *.then the extension will turn it up.

Stuartli 16:39 21 Apr 09

Did you follow the advice from OE's Help files (key in: .csv file format>Display>select Export Address Book contacts to other programs)?

This is the information provided:

"To export your Address Book contacts to other programs:

"You can export your Address Book contacts to other Windows Address Book (.wab) files, as well as to Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book, or any text (.csv) file.

"To export your Address Book files to another Windows Address Book:

"In Address Book, on the File menu, point to Export, and then click Address Book (WAB).
Locate and select the Windows Address Book file you want to export to, and then click Open.
For all other address book formats:

"In the Address Book, on the File menu, point to Export, and then click Other Address Book.
Click the address book or file type you want to export to and then click Export."

shellship 16:35 22 Apr 09

Tried the csv route - disaster, lost the lot but left with pages of c...p. Hair loss, high stress then remembered that I still had most of the data in an OE Address Book. Imported WAB successfully, deleted the c..p and duplicates and am now a happy bunny but what a waste of time. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac