Import reg file from command prompt

Qmar 00:30 27 Mar 03

prompt> regedit c:\file.reg

.. I was messing about with NortonUtilities advance setings once.. and corrupted the os(Win98)

...eventualy restored from a Driveimage backup..
as I could not boot windows..

..could I have used the above command prompt.. and is 'file.reg' the standard backup of the registry that Win98 keeps?
-- could I have restored my own reg backup.. where would have been the best place to keep it.. would it have fitted on a floppy?

p.s. -
I made a .qic file at minimal settings to capture the registry with the Windows backup accessory(which can be restored from the Win98 setup CD) once but it was bigger the a floppy would take...
(i suppose i could have burnt it on a CD)

pps.
could NU have helped me? if so how.

please comment on the optimal method.

Taran 01:23 27 Mar 03

I haven't a clue about Norton Utilities. I gave up on it years ago after it went through a phase of causing more bother than it was worth, resulting in enough calls to sort out client machines to convince me to avoid it at all costs.

If you can boot from a floppy and use the change directory command to get to C: then you can simply rename the existing registry file c:\windows\system.dat (you need to remove certain attributes first) then copy your registry backup from a DOS prompt along the lines of copy c:\registry_file_name.1st c:\windows\system.dat

This assumes that you are talking about an entire registry backup, not just certain branches of it.

There is loads of information on the web about this kind of thing. One link to get you up and running is click here

Taran 01:24 27 Mar 03

The above assumes a Windows 9x environment.

Qmar 02:36 27 Mar 03

thanks..
noted.

Qmar 23:28 27 Mar 03

is there is small utility that will do this for me fro a floppy?

Taran 01:41 28 Mar 03

I have no idea about a utility that does the above. Sorry.

Whenever I mess around with this and similar processes it is via typed DOS commands.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you writing the instructions (with your registry backup filename and location) into a batch file and running it with a simple command.

If you anticipate using it regularly it may be worth the time expenditure to write your batch file and keep it safe on a startup floppy disk.

Then again, this assumes that you know batch programming. It's not too difficult really, but the mere mention of programming often sends people running for the hills...

Qmar 22:10 28 Mar 03

Thanks as always for your erudite replies... perhaps I can put scanreg (only 116kB) with the cab/dat file on the floppy as a kind of 'belt and braces'.

I've had a moment to look at the PCA archives..as you say there is a lot of quality help.. little chance of any attempted 'take off' such a valuable panoply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…