Import or transfer ITunes

brundle 16:49 30 Apr 09

Working on an XP machine which is a total mess and needs complete format-and-reinstall, owner wants the 5GB ITunes folder saved but ITunes (among many others) itself at the moment won't work to do an "export" - a recent virus attack has disabled or broken critical systems and services. Will ITunes recognise the library if I just copy the ITunes music folder to an external drive (including the .itl file) and point a fresh ITunes installation to the relevant folder upon re-install?

john bunyan 17:27 30 Apr 09

When you copy the i Tunes music folder to the external drive, then, I assune do a clean reinstall on the damaged PC, I assume you will re install a clean version of i Tunes. I suggest , when you do so, that you go to Edit, Preferences,Devices, then check the box "Disable automatic Synch" ... Then when you plug in the iPod you could use it as an external Hd and import the Music files. As an alternative you can go to iTunes then Music , File Add Folder to the library and bring in the folder from the external HD.I like to manually synch as my grandchildren and i have separate librarise, and I dont want to risk getting their Eminem etc on my i Pod!!Worth doing a virus etc check on the iPod in its HD mode, if you are concerned.

brundle 19:12 30 Apr 09

Thanks for that, I don't have the owner's IPod to work with, as long as moving the ITunes music folder around won't break things and force them to download everything again - I notice you can only download something you've bought once, from Apple's T&C's.

john bunyan 19:22 30 Apr 09

You should be ok importing the folder from the external hd. You wont lose the files. As an alternative you could back up on a couple of data DVD's.The iTunes m4p files will need you to authorise the iPod. I think it is easy - follow prompts. You can authorise up to 5 computers to hold the iTunes.I always back up the whole of "My music" including iTunes to an external HD (two atually, Im a pessimist!Yes , once only download is allowed (since otherwise an unscrupulous person could treat the iStore like a bank hole in the wall with no PIN no.

^wave^ 20:08 30 Apr 09

it may be worth going to ilounge.com its a great site for all things ipod itunesand has details on transfers and backups

brundle 23:43 30 Apr 09

john bunyan:

I've stored the ITunes folder on a backup drive, I'll do a copy onto DVD just to be on the safe side. The main drive in the PC is on its way out anyway, so I need to take the belt-and-braces approach too...

^wave^:

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check it out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…