imminent laptop hard drive failure

john the scone 11:39 26 Jan 11

run dell diagnostic tool as having problems with system dumping, crashing and eveything telling me hard drive issues, inc dell hard drive diag. tool. can i buy any hard drive for my laptop as dell saying to get one from them. i burnt system discs from partiton for a re install. laptop vostro 1500 series out of warranty. if i get compatable drive is it easy enough to take old one out, put new one in and use recovery discs to put system back on? thanks

gengiscant 11:52 26 Jan 11

you can choose any standard 2.5" drive to replace the failed one; they don't have to be identical.
Changing Harddrive:click here

GaT7 13:16 26 Jan 11

Restoring from System Media instructions at click here under 'Using the Operating System Media' lower down for both Vista & XP.

As gengiscant says regarding the drive, but also ensure it's the same type: IDE for IDE & SATA for SATA.

Let us know what size & type you need - we can post a few alternatives to consider. Dell spares are very expensive in comparison, aren't they? G

john the scone 19:21 26 Jan 11

its a seagate sata 160gb drive 5200. 2.5 . going into vostro vista laptop. dont want to pay for new op system so i burnt copy off i think with free dell data safe. could do with larger drive say 250gb or 320gb. any advice on a relaible one much appreciated, thanks

robin_x 20:32 26 Jan 11

If you reckon you might get enough life out of it to make another system image to new hdd, then buy int 2.5" hdd and a USB caddy/enclosure.
(make sure caddy has external PSU not only USB powered, just in case)

click here

click here

Western Digital seem good value just now and you can use click here to copy/image/clone.

But since you have a Seagate already you can also use click here;1

If the drive dies halfway thru' then caddy won't be any help. Install the new drive and use your dvds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now