IMAP Gmail Account for Outlook 2007

warthog01 18 Apr 13
Answered

Hi

After three hours or so of frustration and annoyance, it dawned on me that I have Google 2 tier verification turned on and then used the unique password to configure my Outlook POP3 account successfully.

When I attempted to add an IMAP account, however, I wasn't so lucky. It won't configure automatically (like Pop3 did) so I've gone to recommended manual settings, used the unique password, inserted the recommended port designations for incoming and smtp servers, but as soon as I attempt to initiate the account I get a popup window: The Requested Operation Failed.

I do want to use an IMAP account, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Woolwell 18 Apr 13

Are you changing from a pop to imap gmail account? Or is this a new gmail address?

warthog01 18 Apr 13

Hi Woolwell

Nope, same old gmail address. I had some other problems and part of getting rid of them was deleting both my pop and imap accounts on Outlook. Now I've managed to retrieve the pop account, but no joy with imap.

thanks

Woolwell 18 Apr 13

Did you delete the old pop gmail address before starting the imap one?

warthog01 18 Apr 13

Hi Woolwell

I had at least a dozen cracks at it--I'm sure on at least one of them, the existing accounts had all been deleted. Does the IMAP account have to be loaded first or on a clean slate??

Woolwell 18 Apr 13

It shouldn't require a clean slate provided that the other pop gmail with the same address isn't present. I can only suggest that you have a setting incorrect somewhere. It will create a separate imap folder from your normal inbox.

warthog01 18 Apr 13

Thanks for your help, Woolwell

I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong, though. I looked at a number of tutorials for setting up the account--all were virtually identical and I folllowed them to the letter. I keep going back to the Google security point, though--would I need separate unique passwords for Outlook pop and imap accounts? it was the 2 tier verification that stymied me in the first place!

Woolwell 19 Apr 13

Shouldn't need a different password as you all you need to do is enable imap at the gmail settings. I run the same gmail account as pop on Outlook 2007 with imap activated. I'm fairly sure that my iPad runs it as imap as if I view emails on it they are still available in Outlook.

warthog01 19 Apr 13

OK, thanks for trying......

Woolwell 19 Apr 13

The only thing that I can suggest is that you delete the entire account on Outlook and start again. However it is possible that you have a corrupt profile and it could be worthwhile running scanost MS data files and perhaps scanpst.

warthog01 20 Apr 13

Running SCANPST now--it found some errors and is now repairing--awfully slow, isn't it?

What are the ramifications if I delete the Outlook account? Will I lose all my emails or have to spend days rebuilding the account? Can I back anything up to preclude this?

Thanks again

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message