Images to use on Desktop Computer

23790954 12:17 15 Aug 10

Hello there again to all my good friends on this forum. I would like some information on the following.
I have in the past, purchased several cd/dvd's which have images on them to use on the computer.
However with these cd/dvd's, you ALWAYS have to install the disc containing the image you require, to use on the computer.
Is it possible to buy cd/dvd's containg images, which actually install onto the hard drive, or download a substantial amount of different images, whereby all the images remain on the hard drive for use in the future. This would avoid having to search for the correct disc required, to install in the system.
All advice on this matter would be appreciated.
Thanks to all who offer their advice.

johndrew 12:31 15 Aug 10

Have you tried right clicking any of these DVD/CDs and selecting 'Explore' from the options rather than installing them?

Most images are kept in separate files and you should be able to copy and paste from the disk to your HDD. You may need to change the format of the image to suit your needs but this is possible using a photo editor.

Taff™ 12:38 15 Aug 10

It sounds like you`ve got disks of Clip Art but the answer is difficult to give really. It depends on how much disk space you`ve got available. For example a CD holds roughly three quarters of a Gig and a DVD 4.5Gb multiply that out for all your disks and then ask the question "Would I want all that resource used when I might only use a fraction of the images I`ve collected".

Personally I have a small collection of Clip Art on CD/DVD`s and keep them installed on one recycled hard disk drive about 70Gb in size in an external drive. I prefer to download clip art collections from the internet depending on what I`m looking for and store them on this drive. I`m also ruthless in removing images I know I just will never use thus keeping the quality images.

23790954 14:10 15 Aug 10

Many thanks for your input, Johndrew and Taff.
Have right clicked as suggested but it does not show explore in the options. Did manage to transfer one dvd, by sending to 'my documents' but as they were CDT files, I could not find any programme with the ability to open them, so I uninstalled them again. I do have well over 200gig free on my hard drive, and I am using Windows 7 64 bit. If either of you know any websites, from where I can install images to my hard drive, and/or a software which is able to change such images into different image file types, I would be obliged for the necessary information.
Any further information on this matter would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in the meantime.

hastelloy 16:29 15 Aug 10

Have you tried click here ? Just click on the "Full Gallery" link (about halfway down the homepage) and you'll be spoilt for choice. I've looked at this site from time to time but never had cause to use any of the images.

23790954 17:14 15 Aug 10

Many thanks for that information marvin42.
Have viewed and joined the website, as I do think it to be a very good website, and just what I was looking for. Many thanks again.
I will leave this post open, in case anyone else has a similar recommendation to make.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5