Images to CD problem, help please !

3tg 20:23 20 Aug 03

On holiday we took lots of photos on several Smartmedia cards. As each image on each card has the same record numbers, I find I can't get all the images together on one Cd. I copy the first card, when I try to add the second card , I am asked if I would like to "replace image **** with
****, if I say yes, I end up with the images of the second card and so on. If I say no the second card is not added at all. Help, it seems a waste of Cds using a separate Cd for each Smartmedia card. Cheers

JIM 20:32 20 Aug 03

can you not just re-name each image on second card before copy?

OR,Create a folder for each card with different name of folder before copy to CD?

Pesala 20:39 20 Aug 03

Try Irfan View from click here. This free graphics program is indispensable for working with large numbers of images.

I would go for the separate folder approach, maybe one for each month, with subfolders for each place visited:

C:\My Pictures\2003\August\Barbados

C:\My Pictures\2003\August\Caerphilly

etc. Mirror the entire directory structure on the CD. A bit tedious to have to rename every time you download a new set of images.

3tg 20:41 20 Aug 03

I tried that< I even tranferred each card into My Pictures, each in a separate file ie...1,2,3,4,5, then tried to create a Cd and the same thing happened. I hate the thought that I will have to rename each image, I thought there might be another way around it. Cheers

MIke 20:46 20 Aug 03

Are you using Windows XP? If so use the digital camera Wizard to download the photos, you can give the images on each card a separate name using the wizard, the pics are then downloaded as 'name 001,name 002etc'

Qmar 21:04 20 Aug 03

'I hate the thought that I will have to rename each image'-sorry to be MOTO , but renaming is a batch process .. no individual selection needed...many utils do this ,and MIke says XP does it.

Giantsquid 21:15 20 Aug 03

Because you have the same numbers on both cards it is logical to ask 'do you want to replace' you need to either give a name to each image on the second card which is tedious or create a new folder and put each batch of images and name the folder as 'Holidays family ' or 'Holiday scenes' just name each folder differently or it will ask you again !

Simon_P 21:28 20 Aug 03

Copy each card to different folders
In first folder select all
and rename first pic say "a! and click ok
the files will now be called a, a (1) a (2) etc
In seckond folder select all
rename first pic say "b" and ckick ok
the files will now be called b, b (1) b (2) etc
Do this for all folders.

Make a new folder and name it
open folder 1 and select all and right click on a pic and select "copy"

Open your new folder and right click and selesc "paste"

Repeat this for all your newly named pix

And that chould have them in one folder ready to burn and back up

Simon_P 21:29 20 Aug 03

sorry "should" and not could.

Oh well no ones perfect

woodchip 21:37 20 Aug 03

All I do with mine is ether create a new folder within a folder or change the number if they are going in the same folder.

Example Rimg0001.jpg to Rimg0001a.jpg

3tg 19:31 21 Aug 03

for the advice, some I had already tried and some I did try, but I failed. However, I have renamed some of the files and managed to condense them down to three CDs, so I am happy with that. I had 569 images, so it was a bit of a task, being retired, I had the time ! Cheers everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…