Image storing

NickyK 19:48 19 Jun 05

I have read what VoG has said on this subject. Please excuse me for posting, but I need an idiot-proof guide.

What I want to do is store zip files, as well as albums.

Any ideas? I ask for this because I recently lost all my unopened files when my computer went bonkers - a strange fault called "NTLDR missing". I had to reinstall Windows and lost data because "My Documents" had become corrupted.

Yes, I do back-ups, but because of the nature of my work I need quick and easy on-line storage.

We are talking 5 gigs.

I use Windows XP with SP2 installed.

bremner 19:59 19 Jun 05

Easy solution - get an external hard drive and back everything of value up to that.

NickyK 20:05 19 Jun 05

That is excellent advice, and that is exactly what I am going to do. I'm looking for a short-term fix. Money's too tight to mention. Oops. Just mentioned it.

Hairy Yeti 20:08 19 Jun 05

Partition your HDD and save your data there.

NickyK 20:10 19 Jun 05

I wouldn't know how to do a partition. Thanks anyway. Appreciated.

VoG II 20:10 19 Jun 05

Yes, my advice was simply in relation to storing images at click here

As it happens I've just inversted in an external HDD myself - it is beautiful click here

NickyK 20:15 19 Jun 05

Thanks, Vog. So, it looks like an external hard drive is the answer. I'll leave this open for a little while longer.

Kenneth-266656 20:44 19 Jun 05

External HDD do tend to be expensive (I know I've got one myself!). If cash is tight - I know the feeling - and you have a spare bay, think about another internal hard drive set up as a slave. Format as a one pr1mary partition and then you can just drag and drop anything you want there and if you feel like it use Ghost or similar to bring a copy of your OS on as well.

NickyK 20:51 19 Jun 05

Thanks, Torwalker (nice ident, btw). I just about understand what you are saying. I think I can set up a slave, but I'm going to have to do a bit of reading/research because this level of computing is beyond me at the moment. I'm not stupid, but I am lacking in knowledge/experience. Your comments, as with all comments, are greatly appreciated.

VoG II 20:51 19 Jun 05

A slightly offbeat (or lateral thinking) answer would be to set up a Gmail account click here and mail to yourself the stuff that you want to keep.

If you would like a Gmail account please click on my yellow envelope.

NickyK 21:09 19 Jun 05

I took VoG's advice and set up a G-mail account. This will solve my problems in the short term. However, I will be buying a separate hard drive. Seems sensible.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. I really, honestly do appreciate the time and the courtesy. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…