image on monitor - can't remove

robert01 17:50 01 Nov 08

My Uncle has a problem with a persistent image on his computer monitor - unfortunately he is miles away so I cannot investigate it myself so I will describe it and hope someone has an idea.

The desktop background has a white strip running from top to bottom about 2 cm wide on the left hand side, it is there from startup and he tells me that it has writing on it. When he clicks on the white space the image jumps to the front and it shows itself to be a Word Document of his letter headings. He has changed the background image with no success, and it is not a window that he can stretch or resize.

Any help would be welcome.

Technotiger 17:56 01 Nov 08

He could try running click here which just might clear it.

ambra4 18:07 01 Nov 08

Remove Common Tasks from Desktop

click here

Download and run reboot after

robert01 11:54 02 Nov 08

Thanks ambra4 but it is not the common tasks pane, imagine opening a word document and resizing it so that it is 2cm wide and the height of the monitor - that is what it looks like only it cannot be removed or resized.

I have a jpeg screenshot of the problem - anyone know how I can paste that in this forum ?

Technotiger 11:58 02 Nov 08

I use click here to post screen-shots here.

De Nada 19:30 02 Nov 08

see if this clears it.

open display tab in control panel,appearance,themes
click desktop,
click customise,
click web tab,
and clear relevant boxes

robert01 19:30 03 Nov 08

Thanks for all suggestions - I may have fixed it, got him to save the offending document to a floppy, then delete it from the original folder, restart and put it back. It seems to have worked but I will leave this open for now just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009