Im wondering

maco2078 20:03 24 May 09

if buying a DVD recorder would be better than one with a hard drive?

johnnyrocker 20:05 24 May 09

might be

johnny

lotvic 21:59 24 May 09

Maybe
Depends what you intend doing with it

maco2078 22:19 24 May 09

Maybe
Depends what you intend doing with it

Recording. Why what else is there?

phono 22:36 24 May 09

"Recording. Why what else is there?"

If that is all you want to do then I think you have answered your own question.

I am sure lotvic was only trying to help, and in all likelihood, can provide you with reasons as to why a hard drive system may have added benefits when compared to a DVD only recorder.

For my own part, if I wanted such facilities, I would go for a system which has both, in that way if you want to keep something just save to HD and burn it to DVD. The HD would then be used for stuff that would be watched but not saved.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:39 24 May 09

had one two years used it twice.

can only record a limited time (no good when away to record several programs)

cant pause and rewind live TV.

Best used inconjuction with a HDD recorder to back up something you want to keep.

with Thompson Topup 160G HDD recorder at £50 from Asda there is no contest.

lotvic 22:49 24 May 09

yes, I was only trying to help. I thought that you might have had a specific purpose in mind as well as recording TV.

I should have been more attentive with my response.
Sorry about that.

I'll go with the 'system which has both' then you have complete flexibility.

phono 23:00 24 May 09

"can only record a limited time (no good when away to record several programs)

cant pause and rewind live TV."

Excellent advice, I hadn't thought of that.

lotvic

"I should have been more attentive with my response. Sorry about that."

I would say that you have no reason at all to apologise, I just thought that maco2078's reply was a bit dismissive, having said that, being limited to a typed message can lead to misunderstanding so that may well not have been the case.

lotvic 23:03 24 May 09

no harm done, I'll muddle through ;-)

maco2078 07:33 25 May 09

I was genuine in my reply. Im a bit of a novice when it comes to all things technical and so took his question seriously. For example the Sagem can also be used for storing pics.

I was looking at the DVD rec's and 6 hours of recording, nah, nah.....

This is the 3rd recorder I have had go wrong on me.

First was a Wharfedale DVD rec from Argos, it just wouldn't record at all or something but it had a beautiful blue display that matched the blue led on my TV. I was lucky to get my dosh back on it because there was no 30 day money back guarantee.

Next one was my Goodmans. dream of a box, worked like magic and if I ever considered it would have probs it bust just before the year was out. Again, I had lost my receipt but had a bank statement so Sainsburys agreed to give me my money back.

Next was the Thomson TUTV. Quite liked that but I jumped the gun and took it back re- problems but it works out everyone was having the same problem that weekend (last BH) actually.

Im taking the Sagem back again today, I have 4/5 days left on the 28 day return. I have tried several batteries and the remote just won't work.

The goodmans went a bit like that and it was the hard drive packed up I think.

This Sagem was also packed in an old looking box and I think originally someone else had returned it, because I didn't have to set the clock time and occasionally it would record programmes by itself, one's I hadn't set up.

You can imagine how fed up I am, I nearly downed a whole bottle of Gallo last eve.LOL

So what do I do? Afeared now whatever one I select will break down. Even Humax has it's problems I believe.

marie

Furkin 07:42 25 May 09

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you mean, but about 18 months ago, I bought a Topfield PVR - which has Freeview built in. I already had 2 DVD recorders & 2 STB's,,,, but this thing is one of the best gadgets I have ever bought, & did away with most of the other gear.
It will record 2 things at once,,,, and you can either watch another channel, or even watch something you've already recorded.
It will freeze, & back-track, live TV. You can also add from hundreds of TAP's (applications) to personalise your own machine.
Updating the hard & software is easy.
My current one has a 160gb hdd, but you can add a bigger one if you wish (so far I havn't needed to) but the current models are bigger anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…