Im not to sure if im getting HOT

Winston Churchill 20:08 01 Feb 03

What is a acceptable temperature for a PC?

Gongoozler 20:14 01 Feb 03

Winston Churchill, are you referring to the system (case internal) or the cpu temperature? I think the cpu should be kept below 60C, and the system should be no more than about 10C above ambient. The silicon chip in the cpu will probably not be immediately damaged until it reaches about 180C, but its life will be shortened way before that, and any elevated temperature can cause erratic behaviour. It is also important to note that the temperature your hardware monitor reports is the cpu case temperature and not the silicon temperature.

Jonny-B 20:14 01 Feb 03

if your cpu temp is below 50 ure ok but when it goes over that you should start to worry.

Irishman 20:19 01 Feb 03

"The typical running temperature of an Athlon while using the appropriate cooler version will be approx 50-65°C at full load, well below AMD's maximum of 90/95°C."

Taken from click here

AMD 4 ever 20:22 01 Feb 03

I think 90-95 is for Destruction, anywhere near that will almost probably damage the CPU core.
I would also say 60°C is acceptable

Irishman 20:24 01 Feb 03

Yes I must say I wondered about that. Funny how this info appears on a site selling coolers??

Irishman 20:33 01 Feb 03

Just downloaded a technical doc from click here

Athlon XP Model 8

Maximum die temperature 90 degrees C

No I don't understand it either.

jediknight007 20:44 01 Feb 03

Does anyone know how to tell your CPU's temperature without having to go into BIOS?

Gongoozler 21:04 01 Feb 03

jediknight007, many motherboards come with a hardware monitoring utility (mine is the VIA Hardware Monitor).

Irishman, Maximum die temperature is not the same as recommended die temperature. The manufacturer will have designed the die to give a reasonably long life at a certain temperature, and will probably have quoted that in a technical document somewhere. This would be the recommended maximum temperature, and I would expect it to be somewhere in the 50 to 60C region. They will also quote a maximum temperature for the die to work to specification, and that would be the 90C. There will also be a temperature above which the die may suffer immediate and catastrophic breakdown. This is the temperature of about 180C that I mentioned above.

A further complication is that there is a temperature gradient from the die, through the processor body, through the heatsink to the ambient. The heat flows through these bodies like current through resistors, and the calculations are very similar. Because we can't measure the die temperature, we have to make a guess at it from the processor case temperature.

Whatever the die maximum temperature it is not a good idea to operate anywhere near it for any length of time any more than it is to operate a car engine near its maximum rpm for extended periods. It may work, but not for long. The nearer the processor case can be kept to ambient temperature, the better it will be, and about 50C is a good target.

ellas 22:37 01 Feb 03

you could always use mobo monitor which will also tell you your cpu temp click here

Winston Churchill 09:15 02 Feb 03

Thanks, ive just done a upgrade of case and fans and im running at 38 cpu and 37.9 case!

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…