I'm on the market for a TFT!

duplo 13:06 15 Aug 03

Hi

I have decided to take the plunge and get myself a TFT screen. I have been reading up on them and looking into different modles and brands.

The one I think is best value is the LG L1710B 17ins TFT Digital, since it has a faily fast response time of 20MS and a 500:1 contrast ratio which i think is good. It also 250 cd/m2 image brightness, which I dont understand actually. Is this any good... I watch DVD's quite alot and the odd game... but most of the time is it for my Uni work.

It seems good value at £338 inc Vat for a digital TFT from a good brand (I think LG is good!).

Are any other suggestions for this price bracket (up to £350 inc Vat). Also... what does 250 cd/m2 mean and is it any good?

Cheers!

barrie_g 13:11 15 Aug 03

LG is a pretty new brand (last 5 years or so) but they are building up a good rep for reliable products, 250cd/m2 is "250 candelas per meter squared" its a measure of how much light teh screen produces and 250 is fine you wont need it on max.

duplo 13:18 15 Aug 03

Ahh... good. I like bright screens!
Thanks!

Tenner 13:23 15 Aug 03

This weeks WinXP Made Easy ( #66) has a section p118 on some TFT screens, but they start at your LG 's price. However, it might be a good read next time you're in the newsagents - 6 are discussed and scored on a double page spread - could give you some background info.

regards

Djohn 13:34 15 Aug 03

Another good thing, not often mentioned. CRT displays always seem to need to be set at 100% Contrast, [Can't fathom out why they bother to include a control] then adjust brightens to suit. With a TFT you will find that you can set both to 50% then adjust either a little, up/down to your liking.

Mine is set at 48% brightness and 52% Contrast. and of course no reflection from the screen, all goes to make a nice picture to look at. j.

bus man 14:14 15 Aug 03

mine came in the bundle from carrera an nec lcd 1501 about £170 + vat from skytronic.com. Easy to use , looks nice tidy buttons mounting options

Tenner 17:47 15 Aug 03

Just out of your reach - isn't it always the case ? - is a 19in at dabs on special offer - worth a look ?

Back in April there was a thread :
click here
which contained some comments on TFT v. CRT, which may be of use - depending on your intended use

Hope it helps

Regards

duplo 13:33 17 Aug 03

OK... I am about to order the TFT screen. I cant decide between an LG L1710B 17ins TFT Digital and a NEC 1760NX 17ins TFT also digital but without a suplied cable (where can I get this from and are they all the same?).

The LG has a 500:1 contrast, the NEC a 450:1. LG: 20ms response time, NEC 16ms. I doubt I could tell the difference either way.

Some reviews seem to point at the LG, others at the NEC.

Has anyone here had any expereince? Also- the Digital cable for the NEC- i dont know which and where to buy!

Cheers!

accord 14:03 17 Aug 03

wait for the next issue (issue 108 October) of PC Pro which has a group test on 17" TFTs. The LG L1800PK won the Labs Winner award with the ADi A715 receiving the recommended award and the Sharp LL-T17D3B receiving the best value award.

duplo 14:11 17 Aug 03

I need to order it befor I go away as I got strait back to Uni when I get back and my dad is keeping my old monitor. I have settled on the NEC I believe. I've found the right cable.

I am now excited... I'll let you know how I go!

Cheers!!

duplo 10:30 20 Aug 03

Well I got the NEC TFT and I love it... very very nice. Unfortunatley there is one dead pixle which is a pain! Never mind, it's blue and not to prominant!

Also got a new case... a "coolmaster wavemaster" and a new PSU from Antec. All assembled. Am very happy! Would recomend it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…