I'm losing the will to live !!!!!

scoff72 17:03 28 Dec 06

please please please someone help me
We bought our son for christmas a laptop and router(Linksys WRT54GS-UK 125 Mbps Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster),my problem is is that whilst i can get the laptop working wirelessly on the net,i can't get my wired desktop to go on line my router has 4 ports can someone please point me in the right direction before i loose all my hair and through the bloody thing in the bin !!!!
cheers

skidzy 17:13 28 Dec 06

Is the router connected to the desktop via ethernet cable.

From the desktop pc can you access the configuration page.

Check the Wep/Wpa key on the Desktop via the security settings within the configuration page.

It may be best to briefly disable the security encryption key Wep/Wpa and see if you access to the net.

If still no joy,post back

scoff72 17:18 28 Dec 06

thanks,when i firstly set the laptop up go to wireless through the router,my desktop isn't connected to the router,just my laptop

skidzy 17:25 28 Dec 06

Ok,do you have a flash drive handy,if so

Plug this into the laptop and goto control panel and select add wireless network wizard,follow the prompts this will save the settings and you will be advised to put these into the desktop and back to the laptop.

The pc does have a wireless card,or is it using a usb adaptor ?

do you have mac address fitering enabled on your router? if so is the desktop listed

tullie 17:31 28 Dec 06

Cant you plug desktop into router,and then use your isp setup disc?

scoff72 17:33 28 Dec 06

thanks but before i do all this,what is the problem,yes i do have a flash drive,not sure on last question "The pc does have a wireless card,or is it using a usb adaptor"

skidzy 17:37 28 Dec 06

If the pc has a built in wireless card,such as pci card,you should not need the usb adaptor.Just have to make sure the pci wireless card is enabled in the bios if using this and not the usb adaptor.

Use the flash drive method first as this is the easiest and most straight forward method.

If this fails,post back.

scoff72 17:54 28 Dec 06

where will i find out if i have a pci card my pc is 3 years old,thanks for your help but what do i do with the flash pen and do i use it when the laptop is working wireless

skidzy 18:05 28 Dec 06

Ok,lets forget the wireless card for now...probably not installed anyway.

If the laptop is connected to the router via ethernet,plug the flash drive via the usb port.

Goto control panel and select Wireless Network Setup,double click this and follow the onscreen prompts.
This will advise you to then insert the flash drive to the desktop and back to the laptop.

scoff72 18:13 28 Dec 06

thanks alot what is the reason then that my laptop works wirelessly but my desktop wont connect to the internet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…