I'm losing it

Flaco 00:07 02 Mar 05

Can anyone remember how to do a Full format on a floppy? The only options I get are 'Quick' or 'MS start-up disk'.

My apologies in advance to anyone who thought this post was going to be even mildly interesting; abuse and general baiting will, of course, be tolerated. Possibly even welcomed at this time of night.

Storik 00:17 02 Mar 05

Forgive my impertinence, but it might help if you had entitled your thread "Formatting floppy" or something similar. Just an observation.

What operating system are you using? That would also help too.

If you have the option of "Quick format" - does this work or do you get an error message? Once the error message comes up, you should get the option of a "Full format".

Storik

Flaco 00:37 02 Mar 05

No offense taken whatsoever.

I'm using XP Home (SP1&2). No errors appearing at the end of formatting process with the Quick option.

I'm trying to creat a floppy as requested by the MSI Live Update utility, in order to flash the BIOS on my mainboard prior to a CPU upgrade. I've tried it with the Quick format but an error in reading the disk crops up towards the last stage of the flashing initiation procedure. Just as well, probably.

Thanks.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 00:44 02 Mar 05

to do a full format dont check any option just click start if my memory serves me correctly.

Flaco 01:39 02 Mar 05

I've tried that, but I get an error message saying 'Windows was unable to complete the format'. I should have mentioned that before.

Gandalph 01:44 02 Mar 05

Sounds a though you may have a faulty disc. Try another.

Flaco 01:54 02 Mar 05

lol Gandalph! I knew there was something I'd forgotten. I thought about that earlier on this evening and it slipped my failing memory. Job done.

Thanks
Steve.

pc moron 01:55 02 Mar 05

Can you read files from other floppy disks?

If you create a small file in Notepad, can you save it to the floppy drive?

No yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

Gandalph 02:58 02 Mar 05

You are welcome. Sometimes the simplest solution is the last one we think of.

Flaco 13:59 04 Mar 05

Just as a quick follow-up, I attempted a full format on all the 10 [Verbatim] disks in the pack. Only 5 (50%!) would allow it. Pants or what?

I suppose there's no margins left in floppies...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…