I'm loosing Patience

golfpro 16:52 10 Apr 05

All I want to do is back up my documents and settings folders to CD but using the back up program wizard in Windows XP is driving me mad I get as far as selecting the drive (which I do) then type in a name for the CD and I get a error message to say that I need a valid path for the file name. Can anyone suggest a valid path. Or is there an easier way

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 10 Apr 05

Ensure enable recording on this drive is ticked. look under porperties for the cd drive recording tab.

Using explorer just drag and drop the Mydocuments folder on to the CD drive

pauldonovan 16:57 10 Apr 05

..various different paths/filenames?

How about backing up to the PC somewhere else first, then writing that backup directory to the CD? Sounds like a problem backing-up direct to the CD (that's how I read what you are trying at the moment).

€dstowe 16:59 10 Apr 05

I think that Windows backup will not recognise and external drive like a CD.

You need independent backup software to do that.

Drive Image or Acronis will do it for you.

SANTOS7 17:13 10 Apr 05

Select Your Backup Location
Before you start using the Backup Utility you'll need to decide where you're going to store your backup. A separate hard drive or some kind of removable media is going to be the safest option. However, if the capacity of your backup location is somewhat limited then you'll need to pick and choose what files you consider to be important
click here
taken from the link.

woodchip 17:17 10 Apr 05

You can only backup to a Folder that is not Backed up with Windows Backup, in other words you can create a backup folder on another Partition or on the C:\Drive but you should untick the Folder if it's is on the C:\Drive it cannot backup the folder it is writing to.

woodchip 17:19 10 Apr 05

And as above Windows Backup only recognises Tape Drives. Not CDR OR CDRW OR DVD ETC

VoG II 17:21 10 Apr 05

... and Zip drives are recognised.

golfpro 07:56 11 Apr 05

Thanks for the replies, sorry I did not get back sooner.
my reason for backing up these programs/folders is in preparation for installing a new external hard drive (just in case something tragic happens during the install/transfer). I don't have another storage device with enough memory, and my hard disc is almost full (the reason for the new hard disc), so I'm in a catch twenty two situation, unless I spend another load of dosh for a dedicated software program. There's always bloody something isn't there.

peter4076 08:57 11 Apr 05

Acronis True Image ver 8.0 (£16.00 Amazon.co.uk )
doe's complete backup of 60gig HDD in 25 minutes
problem solved forever & ever Amen.

Chegs ® 09:16 11 Apr 05

PC Format(March issue)has Acronis TrueImage free on its coverdisk.It also has a trial of TrueImage 8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…