I`m locked out of ` Internet options `

denchris 17:31 08 Sep 03

I`m using IE6 and XPhome,I am trying to change my Home Page in IE6 but every time I click `tools` I am told ` This operation has been cacelled due to restrictions on this computer.see your administrator. `. Well....
As I`m the said administrator I do feel a bit of a fool, what have I done to lock myself out ? I can do anything else I like but not this one thing. any help please ?

Djohn 17:42 08 Sep 03

Control Panel, then click on "user accounts" you will then see a window with options to change the way accounts have access, also yo may find that on the same screen there is an "Administrator account" as well as your own. You will be able to log on from there and change your settings.

Mine says [My name] with administrator underneath it, and guest account, yours may be set different. Regards. j.

denchris 18:11 08 Sep 03

Thanks for response, mine is the same as yours and I am sole user so there is no guest enabled. It is strange because this appears to have happened just recently, and I cannot find anything I may have inadvertantly changed to cause this.I see what you mean alright but as I said, I am the `man ` so, whats stopping me ?

spikeychris 18:16 08 Sep 03

Go to
HKEY CURRENT USER/Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet

Click NoBrowserOptions

If the parameter is 1 then "Internet Options" menu is
disabled in Internet Explorer. To enable it set parameter to 0

denchris 18:53 08 Sep 03

Parameter was 1, reset to 0, but I still can`t change my home page, that section is greyed out, while every thing else is useable. I can live without this obviously,but I have to think, did I change anything else ?? possibly while tinkering. The only reason I looked at the home page was because I now use the ` bat file `to get straight to PCA helproom, so I was going make my homepage something else useful.
Thanks chris, from chris

VoG II 19:01 08 Sep 03

Do you have StartPage Guard? If so you need to "unlock" to homepage to change it.

Even if you don't have it, you could try it, unlock the padlock and see if you can change the homepage from there click here

christmascracker 19:02 08 Sep 03

Have you tried a restore point to before this happened?

The same thing happened to me a while back after I had installed a new prog

Restoring sorted it out

Jester2K II 19:03 08 Sep 03

Change NoSetHomePage to 0 too

spikeychris 19:07 08 Sep 03

Or go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control

In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select
Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00

When you reboot, you should be able to change
the home page again.

frankie 19:07 08 Sep 03

i had my setting to use blank now freeserve loads and cant access the buttons as greyed out i do not have freeserve as isp so whats going on?

denchris 19:16 08 Sep 03

Goal !!! Homepage = 0. thanx VoG and christmascracker for your efforts. Now if for some reason I don`t want to visit this page I can go directly to BBC/history, what am I saying ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…