IM for Linux

dalek111 11:54 30 Aug 09

Hi,

I am looking for a NON browser based (i.e. ebuddy, mebo etc. I also do not like pidgin. I find it to be very unreliable) IM for Linux. That is, I want a messenger that I can download and install (for free). The official windows messenger is of course incompatible with Linux, but what is the best compatible messenger?

Thanks

dalek111 12:04 30 Aug 09

Thanks for your reply. Can you change your Personal Message with AMSN? That is one of the issues i have had with pidgin.

dalek111 12:20 30 Aug 09

Right, thanks, but I realllly want to have my PM back. You or anyone know of a Linux compat IM with PM support?

dalek111 12:22 30 Aug 09

Thanks for the screenshot, I'd allready seen in from AMSN's site, but i wasn't sure about the PM

dalek111 12:31 30 Aug 09

Just installed it, and PM works like it would on windows live. Thanks a lot for your help

LastChip 17:34 30 Aug 09

Marg7, here's something I wrote a while back for webcams, but it IS essential you have a Linux compatible webcam, otherwise, you'll be going around in circles.

click here

That was for Debian 64, but as Ubuntu is based on Debian, you should find it similar, if not identical.

If you choose to use a command line install, just remember to place sudo in front of the commands.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced