I'm inept. linksys router wrt54g

acrimony 06:23 22 May 06

I consider myself to be pretty computer savvy and able to troubleshoot, but this wireless router has kicked my butt. I've learned from this website that I should not even bother with my setup CD.

Here's my problem: I went through the set up and it stalls at step 7, entering my password. I bought the router used but I have reset it. when I type in my password the setup just sits there at step 7 and does nothing.

So I went to the ip address that is mentioned for setup but I know nothing about it. I have no clue what to put for my host name (is that my yahoo/sbc dsl ID?) and how to make sure that my wireless network can only be accessible by password. I know when I tries to log onto the neighbors networks that they were secured and I had to guess their passwords.

Also, my roommate wants to connect to my wireless connection. I'm ok with this but I do want him to have to type in a password before being able to access it. I just can't figure out where I can change the default password.

Any advice? I'm just learning what SSID means, I still have no clue what it actually does.

mgmcc 09:24 22 May 06

First of all, the Linksys WRT54G is suitable for use with Cable Broadband (NTL or Telewest) is that what you are connecting to? It doesn't have an ADSL modem incorporated which you need for ADSL services via the phoneline.

Although CDs with a Setup Wizard are often provided, a router doesn't install as hardware or software in a PC and it is probably as easy to set it up via its web-based interface accessed by typing its IP address into a web browser. The WRT54g's IP address is 192.168.1.1

<<< I have no clue what to put for my host name >>>

Leave it blank. This is only entered if required by your ISP.

<<< how to make sure that my wireless network can only be accessible by password. >>>

By enabling encryption such as click here it will be necessary to enter the "key" which matches the router's before the Wireless Network Adapters will be able to connect.

<<< I'm just learning what SSID means, I still have no clue what it actually does >>>

The SSID (Service Set Identifier) is actually the wireless network's name. This is what the Wireless Adapters should find when you scan for Available Wireless Networks.

ade.h 15:06 22 May 06

"...and I had to guess their passwords."

I hope you didn't succeed. To do so is to break the law. If the boot was on the other foot, you wouldn't appreciate someone gaining access to your network.

"Also, my roommate wants to connect to my wireless connection."

Then it is essential that you enable MAC filtering so that only his client can connect. Make sure that no-one knows your config password, room-mate included.

acrimony 00:49 23 May 06

Nope, I did not gain access to their networks. I didn't even bother after 'admin' did not work.

acrimony 00:51 23 May 06

"Then it is essential that you enable MAC filtering so that only his client can connect. Make sure that no-one knows your config password, room-mate included."

how will my router know that it's his computer trying to connect if I don't give him the password?

mgmcc 08:46 23 May 06

<<< how will my router know that it's his computer trying to connect if I don't give him the password? >>>

He needs to know the encryption key for his Wireless Adapter to be able to connect to the wireless network.

He *DOES NOT* need to know the password to access the router's configuration pages, which you should change from the default "admin".

ade.h 15:19 23 May 06

Encryption password and config password are entirely different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…