Im having trouble formating in XP pro

sprgrngy 04:09 18 Mar 03

Im trying to format my hardrive. Im running XP pro, updated from XP Home. I tried right clicking the c drive, and hitting format, but it says that I am running a utility or program which I must quit before I can continue. I also tried from the MSDOS prompt and am getting a similar message. The thing is, Im not running any programs or utilities when I try to format. I tried closing all extraneous applications via task manager, but with no success. I also tried running a clean install from the XP cd, and it failed as well.

I had alos created an extra partition on the hardrive using Partition Magic, and thought that it might be causing the problem, so I merged the drives back to one C drive. Could that have something to do with it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Phrozen_Oracle 04:17 18 Mar 03

Hey Meik, to format the hard drive you need to be out of Windows XP and in True DOS. When you say you have tried it under DOS i take it you mean you have gone to the command prompt under XP. If your file system is FAT32 get a Windows 98 floppy boot disk and boot into DOS. This way you will be able to format the drive.
Hope this helps

AndySD 04:31 18 Mar 03

Boot with the Windows CD and choose R for the Recovery Console click here and at the prompt type FORMAT C: and hit enter.

sprgrngy 05:41 18 Mar 03

Thanks for the responses. The file system is actually NTFS, and I dont necessarily need to recover my system, I can access windows, but I would like to format and re-install due to system complications.

AndySD 06:08 18 Mar 03

You need to use the Recovery Console to format with ntfs

Or just boot with the XP cd and choose setup.... you will be given the option to format the drive before installing XP.

AndySD 06:16 18 Mar 03

I should have said

You need to use the Recovery Console to format a drive with the Operating System on when formatted with ntfs

sprgrngy 17:44 18 Mar 03

It worked. I reformated and reinstalled from the XP cd, I had initially chosen the wrong option, and it installed another copy of XP on top of the original copy. I then went back, formated and installed clean. Im having a problem now though. When I scroll or move things around on the desktop, its very choppy. Any suggestions?Thanks again for the initial responses.

AndySD 20:02 18 Mar 03

Go Start choose Run and type in

click ok. Now in the startup tab untick anything Not Required click here for the list.

click here

sprgrngy 20:37 18 Mar 03

I just needed to download the driver. I thought I had...thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…