im gonna try building my own computor but....

bretjones 17:58 29 Jan 07

i have never tried it before, i currently have a crappy acer laptop which i bought last year, but am feeling the need for more speed, so i have decided to try building my own, with the following spec:

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

this is essentially going to be a budget gaming pc, so any suggestions for more suitable components would be very much appreciated.
links would be very nice
also, if there any any other things i need (yes i have a screwdriver) to build the tower unit then please say. thank yooooo! :)

ed-0 18:12 29 Jan 07

best check your compatibility of products, again.

You have selected a AM2 socket motherboard and a Socket 939 processor.

ed-0 18:20 29 Jan 07

These cpu's WILL fit that motherboard. click here

make sure you check the bios versions as you may have to flash with some cpu's.

bretjones 19:03 29 Jan 07

right you are, thanks, any improvements to that setup for the money? im on a budget of about 450 for the tower.

bretjones 19:06 29 Jan 07

right you are, thanks, any improvements to that setup for the money? im on a budget of about 450 for the tower.

BigMoFoT 15:32 30 Jan 07

Your onboard sound on the ASUS board will be far superior

keef66 15:54 30 Jan 07

you need a better graphics card if you're gaming, and don't buy it from Crucial. Scroll down to the X1600 pro click here
or better still try a 7600gs
click here

Yes, ditch the sound card.

You could find a cheaper quiet cooler for the cpu. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice cooler, but you don't need to be spending that much in a budget system.

You could make a major saving in carriage costs by buying from just one or two retailers, rather than the dozen or so you've selected.

You could also consider a mobo / cpu / cooler / ram bundle, or a barebones kit to save money.

spuds 15:55 30 Jan 07

Thought about a barebones?. click here

Totally-braindead 20:15 30 Jan 07

I think you will find that unless you have some existing parts you would be cheaper buying a new PC. Novatech do some nice ones including a few with a 7600GT graphics card which would cover the gaming aspect. If you really want to build your own from scratch then fair enough. You can learn a lot by doing it and of course once its up and running you can feel a lot more confident about upgrades and repairs.

keef66 11:45 31 Jan 07

Totally-braindead's right. I have costed it out several times over the past couple of years, and by the time you've bought everything you need including the OS, you're spending more than it costs to buy a new pc witha 3 yr warranty from Evesham!

Having said that, I am siezed by an irrational desire to build a core 2 Duo pc myself, just for the fun of it.

bretjones 13:39 31 Jan 07

wow, didnt know you could get barebones for those prices, guess i didnt really look though. thanks for the feedback, i think i'll be getting one of those systems then. thanks spuds for the link. i will be getting the 350 quid one with the amd core duo one. i may upgrade the graphics card later, i may not, i dont really know anything about them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…