I'm going to sound like a right doughnut !!!

TommyRed 23:25 07 Apr 03

I've asked this on here before but didn't get an answer that really helped me, so I'll try again. My current PC is a P3 550 and my OS is 98SE, it was given to me as where my 2 previous PC's but there where no disks with it. I realise that if anything major goes wrong i'd be up *!@: creek, so I want to make a disc that will rescue me in the event of a failure, what drivers would I need to download excluding any specific personal programs that I can check with 'Belarc Advisor'. I once deleted my modem but luckily that PC came with a disk.
Cheers

woodchip 23:31 07 Apr 03

Have you got a CDRW. Or a second Partition on your drive how big

Patr100 23:34 07 Apr 03

If you don't have an Operating System disk to reload Win 98 you either use software such as Drive Image or Norton Ghost to make an "image" of the hard drive - or you buy a copy of the operating system, Otherwise you have nothing to load any other drivers on to.

bloo meeny 23:35 07 Apr 03

If I'm right in thinking that the PC is currently ok with all drivers etc. intact and you're simply (quite rightly) concerned about future disasters, you may be better to simply make a total backup of the hard disk as it is. You should then be able to restore the whole thing in one go.

More knowledgeable types here will say if I have that wrong.

TommyRed 23:38 07 Apr 03

No Woodchip, I haven't got a CD-RW on my machine but my next door neighbour has and it's ok to use his, he also has 98SE without disks (also given to him) so it could benefit him also.
Cheers

Evening Tommythered, if you are lucky, the person who setup the machine will have copied the win98 setup files to your hdd first. Have a look for a directory containing approx 75 .cab files (plus a few other bits and bobs), there should be a few named Win98_xx.cab (where xx is a rising number).

If you can find these, then burn the directory to a cd and you will effectively have an install disc.

Regards, Mr. Mouse.

Switcher 23:43 07 Apr 03

Clone your hard drive to another drive using Ghost and stick the clone somewhere safe until and IF required.

woodchip 23:49 07 Apr 03

Then get Drive Image software from some whare like PCworld you can copy direct to CD you need to read the instructions on how but it is quite easy, I suppose to someone who knows how, you could come back hear with a new thread on how to use but that's the best way to go

TommyRed 00:00 08 Apr 03

Mr. Mouse,
Yes I seem to have those goes from 21 to 74 also drivers from 11 to 20 but the problem is I don't have a CD-RW. I could send them next door a few at a time and then burn them onto a CD. Would I burn all of the cabs folders, other than what I've mentioned there are also:-
Base4, 5 & 6
Catalog3
Chl99
Mini
Net10
Net7, 8 & 9
Precopy1 & 2
Cheers

TommyRed 00:00 08 Apr 03

Mr. Mouse,
Yes I seem to have those goes from 21 to 74 also drivers from 11 to 20 but the problem is I don't have a CD-RW. I could send them next door a few at a time and then burn them onto a CD. Would I burn all of the cabs folders, other than what I've mentioned there are also:-
Base4, 5 & 6
Catalog3
Chl99
Mini
Net10
Net7, 8 & 9
Precopy1 & 2
Cheers

A15 00:09 08 Apr 03

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but........

You say you were given the machine with no discs, do you have the cd-key/licence number for Win98? if not making an installable cd will do you no good, & your only option is to create an image file with the likes of Norton Ghost as mentioned above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…