I'm going slightly mad

woowoowoo 14:01 05 Sep 05

Having spent all weekend trying to fix my Pc - with loads of help from you guys, its up and running. This morning you helped me find my modem - which wasn't responding, I reloaded its driver and, foolishly thought - "this is it, back online", but no - modem still not responding. When I right click on it and bring up properties it says "cannot read port name from registry" Whats that all about? Any ideas?
One good thing about re-formatting it - I can't remember it loading up that fast before.

AndySD 14:15 05 Sep 05

Try adding a comm port in Add/Remove Hardware.

Chegs ® 14:16 05 Sep 05

Probably due to incorrect driver.I had a bucketfull of hassle from a PCM NIC on my lappy.Everest/Belarc said it was an "Token-Ring Adapter" so I hunted down every one of the token-ring drivers I could find.I finally got the card working by loading XP,looked in Device Mngr to see what XP said it was(Realtek Family PCI LAN)reloaded 98se,and selected the realtek driver.The laptop went straight on my network 1st boot with the right driver.

woowoowoo 14:29 05 Sep 05

But the driver worked before I reformatted. I'll try to find a new driver. I notice that in my system folder, I have little exclaimation marks by pci multimedia audio and video devices and by a pci serial controler. Haven't a clue waht those are, but the modem is a pci 56rvp - any relation?

Diodorus Siculus 14:36 05 Sep 05

Shut down the PC

Take out the modem

Reboot

Shut down

install modem to new pci slot

start up PC

new hardware wizard should come up - point to the drivers you have

woowoowoo 14:40 05 Sep 05

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a pci slot?

Stuartli 14:42 05 Sep 05

I'm not b-----y surprised...:-))

I've had some exasperating times over the years but...

woowoowoo 14:47 05 Sep 05

I think I'm going out to enjoy the weather now, and when I come back and switch on I'm sure it will be fine. Listening to my new Queen CD off Ebay is helping

Diodorus Siculus 14:50 05 Sep 05

A pci slot is the slot into which the modem is installed.

Enjoy the weeather...

woowoowoo 14:55 05 Sep 05

Thanks

Stuartli 15:05 05 Sep 05

Presumably you supplied the musical backing for Queen - hence the handle...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…