I'm going to run my PC without a firewall...

powerless 23:37 02 Dec 03

So we'll see what the fuss is about.

GANDALF |:-)> has inspired me.

If anything happens, i'll tell you.

powerless 23:44 02 Dec 03

Well, i disabled ZA and my computer appeared to boot slighly faster.

I have one less Process running.

Sir Radfordin 23:49 02 Dec 03

One problem with this approach, you won't know something has happened until it is too late!

I've often left my firewall turned off (after testing something for example) and don't seem to have suffered.

Spoke to someone who claims to have only not been able to get into the Bank of England when doing penetration testing (in an official capacity) so I guess even with your firewall in place someone with the right kit could still find their way in if they wanted.

powerless 23:52 02 Dec 03

It its to late - ah well...

GORAL 23:54 02 Dec 03

Have to say I am wary of Zone Alarm anyway having read many problem stories which I think could be attributed to it.

Stuartli 09:02 03 Dec 03

Used the free version of ZoneAlarm for several years, upgraded it on a regular basis, moved from Win98 to 98SE and now XP Pro, and yet to have any problems, niggles or otherwise with the product.

Downloaded latest version, 4.5.530.000, the day after it was released and the process was as smooth and as efficient as in the past; same for day to day usage.

dazzling (work) 09:15 03 Dec 03

powerless have you caught anything nasty yet?why not go the hole hog and turn of your av as well.my firewalls theere for my paranoia,but it doesnt work.anyway as gandalf said what do we have worth stealing on our pc's.darren

jimv7 09:54 03 Dec 03

I recently read a report where a well known security firm in the usa had installed a computer running xp on the net with no anti-virus or firewall, the blaster virus hit after 27 seconds.

As an experiment with a good restore image available it will be interesting to see what happens, and how long it takes, but as for running every day with no protection, its not advisable.

spikeychris 12:12 03 Dec 03

With the sites you visit I would turn it on again ASAP :o)

simonp1 12:43 03 Dec 03

some time ago, when i first got a PC, i never even heard of FW and AV, so for a good while i ran bare, luckly i never caught a cold so i was lucky. Now i have noticed a lot more issues with the Fw and mainly emails with viruses, i would go bare again.

Interested to know how you get on Powerless.

simonp1 12:44 03 Dec 03

* i wouldnt *

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…