I'm getting a response delay

Graphicool1 09:25 10 Sep 10

WinXP SP3

Over the past few weeks I've been noticing an annoying response delay. If I click to open a programme or click on a button, there's a pause before it complies.

This morning when I clicked 'Control Panel' it opened and I got the torch. I ran this bit of code...
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
...tried clicking on Control Panel again and it opened without a torch. But other things are still dragging?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 10 Sep 10

Time for a repair and a clear out?

try
sfc /scannow
to replace any missing or corrupt files that may be causing the delay.

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Superantispyware click here
Malware removal tool click here

Free Antivirus software
MicroSoft Security Essentials click here
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Use the tool in Crap Cleaner its very safe and also allows you to back up the registry first.

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance -
advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click
custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory
= set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the
PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at start up -- Start - Run type msconfig - start up tab- untick everything
except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

2. Hardware

a) Hard drives /

i) IDE Channels:
Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP or Vista, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

b) Drivers
Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) Memory
Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

birdface 11:20 10 Sep 10

Looks like you have a slow response to this thread as well.
Try Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter .It should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.
If using IE8 maybe give this a try.
Tools.Developers Tools.Press on disable and click on script.
pages will open a lot quicker but some programs that need flash may not work if so reverse what you changed.it only takes about 10 seconds.
I find IE8 fairly slow recently and keep getting script errors normally on the PCA site but on the odd other site as well.
So maybe change browsers for a while may help.

kristain 11:51 10 Sep 10

also try the followings:

1. delete all temporary files
2. run defragmentation

click here to speed up your computer.

Graphicool1 14:48 10 Sep 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\
sfc /scannow
I did this, nothing seems any different.

I use:
Ccleaner on a daily basis.

I use:
AVAST
Spyware Terminator
PCTools Firewall
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Spyware Blaster

I regularly:
Defrag the HD, Register and the Pagefile.

The Pagefile is already on another drive.

The Pagefile (virtual memory):
is set to 2920 MB

I have 6 items in 'StartUp':
Avast5
Spyware Terminator
PCTools Firewall
WacomTablet
Incredimail
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

"IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel"
On my PC this should read...
"IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers 'double' click Primary Channel"
(if I right click I get something else)

Well, I have 2 HD's they are both set to DMA
I don't know which drive is which, but...
Drive (device 0) is Ultra DMA Mode 5
Drive (device 1) is Ultra DMA Mode 6

Done this...
"Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation."

It is NTFS

SECUNIA watches for latest drivers and patches

I have 1256 RAM

2 internal 80 GB HD's of which they have both got 37 GB Free Space.

1 external 80 GB HD of which there is 32 GB free Space.

buteman

"Looks like you have a slow response to this thread as well."

Mmm?
Actually I work from home, as such although I posted the thread, I couldn't spend all day just sitting twiddling my thumbs, whilst waiting for a reply.

Because of the PC problem, when working, I have to close everything, that I'm not actually using down. That means i close my email client and go off line. Anything, such as receiving an email or the anti-virus getting an update can cause my graphics programme to have a minor siezure. As it is I have to constantly save. Even so it keeps telling me 'there's not enough memory' and 'it will have to close'. Both of my HD's have 37 GB Free Space.

As yet - being only a one finger typer - I haven't as yet tried your fix. As I thought I should reply pronto in case I got another flea in my ear.

kristain

Thanks for your input. I'll take a look at 'Yogi'

birdface 15:00 10 Sep 10

Ignore kristain part it will not open for me And WOT tells me it is not a good site.

Graphicool1 15:05 10 Sep 10

Cheers for that, you've redeemed yourself.
I'll now give your suggestion a go.

Graphicool1 15:13 10 Sep 10

I just tried the 'ipconfig /flushdns' a small black screened Bios window opened and closed in a flash. To quick to read the two or three words that were there. That was that? No message, nothing. The same response as I got from Fruit Bat's 'sfc /scannow'. But I'll reboot anyway.

birdface 15:19 10 Sep 10

I don't suppose the computer needs a good clean out does it.

birdface 15:21 10 Sep 10

Did you leave a little gap between ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.

birdface 15:24 10 Sep 10

And without the ' ' s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…