im gettin message" invalid boot.ini file "

dek26 16:00 24 Jan 04

i have just installed a new mother board a ASUS A7N8X-X and a new graphics card geforce fx 5200 128mb ddr ram card i have a 1.4 gig pro amd athlon xp 1600+ and 512mb ddr ram and im usin windows xp pro operating system, now the problem is after fittin all the hardware and all the drivers im gettin a message that comes up when i switch the pc on sayin invalid boot.ini file booting from C:\windows\ then it starts up windows xp, the other problem im gettin is now and again my screen freezes and i have 2 restart and i dont have a clue y this is doin wot its doin so if there is any1 out there who can help me with this problem id be greatful as im pullin my hair out over this so plz help before i have no hair left.

clayton 16:04 24 Jan 04

Did you make a clean install of xp after you fitted the new mobo ect ???

dek26 16:13 24 Jan 04

yeh clayton i didi i put 98 se on then xp upgrade its crashin all time and its makin me mad i m close 2 picking it up and smashin it thru the window.

LastChip 16:15 24 Jan 04

There is a file known as the Hive that stores all the hardware information about your computer.

You have changed a major part of the system and the hive cannot cope with this. Frankly, I'm amazed it even booted at all.

Anyway, go to install XP again, and once the first few screens have passed by, it will tell you it has discovered an existing operating system and give you the option to repair it. Go ahead and see if it works.

Backup any critical data first.

tafoody 16:20 24 Jan 04

you could try start\run, MSCONFIG

should have an option under boot.ini to 'check boot paths' and may offer a repair?

dek26 16:26 24 Jan 04

thanks guys ill get on that now will let u know how i get on again thnks 4 all ur help but i have asmall feeling its gonna b a bit more complicted than that

BBez 16:38 24 Jan 04

The bootcfg /rebuild command in the "recovery console" scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP installations, and then displays the results. You can add the detected Windows installations.

An example of the message that may be displayed:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 2

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu)
Enter Operating System Load Options: (that is: /fastdetect)

[2] D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu)
Enter Operating System Load Options: (that is: /fastdetect)

from MS KB ID 291980...

dek26 16:49 24 Jan 04

when i go2 run\msconfig there is nuthin there about boot.ini to even try and repair it so im still stuck.

dek26 16:51 24 Jan 04

BBez i dont understand what u have told me 2 do can u simplify it please.

tafoody 17:10 24 Jan 04

here's a piccy of my msconfig\boot.ini click here and the 'check boot paths' button.

LastChip 17:25 24 Jan 04

Have you set your machines BIOS to boot from the CD Rom?

XP should load automatically providing the BIOS is setup in this manner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…