I'M CORRUPT(\windows\system\etc etc)

SLAYER 19:12 28 Dec 05

I updated a couple of drivers and on restarting my PC would not boot,I got the error corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system.So using another PC I attempted to solve the problem, but as I am using an OEM version of XP I don't have the benefit of a repair install and the repair consul route explained on the Microsoft website is beyond my current expertise,so I stuck my backup HDD in, which is a mirror of the first,or near enough anyway.My question folks is this, can I repair the first drive simply,connecting it as a slave,if so how.The drive I am trying to repair is Diamond max plus 9 and according to the website does not need a jumper as a slave, yet when I connected it I got the error message again which seems to mean that hard drive was the one trying to boot.Unplugged my other drive booted.Thanks in advance.

Glenn.

woodchip 19:14 28 Dec 05

Have you tried Safe Mode then System Restore?

SLAYER 19:28 28 Dec 05

Yes mate,but I cannot get into safe mode.yet another problem I have yet to solve.

I refer to another posting. Safe mode problem.

VoG II 19:33 28 Dec 05

Other thread click here

SLAYER 19:35 28 Dec 05

Thanks for that.

VoG II 19:37 28 Dec 05

but this is Microsoft's solution for a non-OEM installation click here

It might prompt some suggestions for your situation.

SLAYER 19:40 28 Dec 05

This is what I looked at.I bit out of my expertise.

woodchip 19:43 28 Dec 05

Don't know if this will work, but worth a try. this is where restore is

C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe if you can get to this file it may run from a command prompt if you know how to use in a Dos environment

SLAYER 19:47 28 Dec 05

Nah don't know mate.But thanks anyway.

VoG II 19:48 28 Dec 05

Will it start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

If so, type C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe at the > prompt and press Enter.

SLAYER 19:53 28 Dec 05

worth a try, at the moment I'm using my PC to chat to you guys and the mrs is working on hers.So something to try later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…