I'm administrator but still can't delete file...

Florio 20:31 05 May 10

I have Vista Home Premium. I'm trying to access the file Revert.wmz, a skin for Windows Media Player, which is obviously damaged in some way, but I cannot delete it or substitute it with a 'healthy' copy as I dont' have privileges, even though I am the administrator (and only user) of my pc. Apparently I don't have 'special privileges', but how am I to go about obtaining them??!!
I'd be grateful if someone could kindly explain, in simple terms, the basics of administrators' privileges, as I have an Italian version of Vista and cannot understand clearly the explanation given in Italian.
Thanks,
Florio

rdave13 20:44 05 May 10

Have a look here to take ownership of file or folder in Win 7. It should be the same for Vista but I've only used it on 7; click here

MAT ALAN 20:44 05 May 10

click here

follow thread, suggests file will be linked to something else and a solution from downloading a third party prog...

woodchip 22:08 05 May 10

have you tried right click the file, rename it, then try delete

Florio 22:13 05 May 10

Yes, I've tried that as well, but cannot rename the file. If only I could get special privileges...
What a mystery!
Florio

KremmenUK 07:07 06 May 10

Boot into Safe Mode 'Command Prompt' and rename it in there if you can.
I wouldn't delete it in case it causes more havoc with it missing.
Then reboot and see what happens when the file is not available.

Another route worth trying is to download the free utility "UnLocker" if this can't release the file then it will tell you if it's locked out or not.

VOT Productions 14:09 06 May 10

Try to set the file's permission to Full Control for Adminstrator.

Florio 15:36 06 May 10

I've followed all of the above suggestions; even going into safe mode and usking "Unlocker" have yielded no results.
How do I go about getting permission for Full Control as Administrator (sounds simple enough, but I just cannot understand what I'm meant to be doing since I have an Italian edition of Vista).
Florio

dogtrack 15:51 06 May 10

Had a similar problem last year. Did a CUT & PASTE to a new location...think I used a thumb drive...Windows then allowed me to delete it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now