illegal use of PC And P2P

Inx 10:51 04 Jan 06

Why is it illegal to download movies from your PC but not to record from the TV?

woodchip 10:54 04 Jan 06

Good Question!

Inx 10:55 04 Jan 06

well answer it then. i think its stupid, if you can get it from the TV without it being illegal why nto the same from the PC?

mattyc_92 10:58 04 Jan 06

Apparently it is illegal to actually record movies from the TV as well if you have the intent of keeping the recording...

Why? I do not know.....

Audeal 13:33 04 Jan 06

It IS iligal to record anything from the tv as everything broadcast has a copyrite attached to it.

There was talk, some years ago, about allowing people to record from tv as long as it was deleted within 14 days. It was, however, decided that this would be impossible to police properly and was therefor dropped.

Designing and producing equipment to use for recording from tv when it is ilegal is, in my opinion, totaly stupid and an encouragement to break the law.

We all know that, especially in the UK, the law is an ASS. Don't we.

britto 15:22 04 Jan 06

I seem to remember a few years ago(pre video)a government suggestion of a charge being put onto the price of blank audio cassette tapes to compensate the recording industry, do not know if it was applied.

SG Atlantis® 15:34 04 Jan 06

when you download movies no one has been paid a penny, not the actors, not the producers, not the copyright owners and not the director and so on.

Is that fair?

When you get it on the telly, the owners of the film have been paid by the TV channel for the right to broadcast it. The TV channel derives it's revenue from advertisements during the broadcast. So if you avoid the adverts by turning channels on the breaks that's another wrong deed you've done! When you record of the telly you cannot distribute it, it's for your own viewing only.

Shortstop 15:53 04 Jan 06

Another thing is the age of the films. Those transmitted on the TV are relatively old [even the 'Premieres'] whilst those available on P2P are usually very new - some not even released for sale as they are still only available in the cinema or haven't even been released there.

However, the TV company has paid royalties for the films that they transmit. As SG Atlantis® rightly points out, there are no royalty payments for P2P downloads and therefore copyrights have been beached.

HTH

Paul

realist 16:02 04 Jan 06

I see no difference between what people have always done i.e. to make audio and video tapes, and making audio and video downloads from the internet. Obviously in narrow legal terms all these practices could invite a civil action for breach of copyright/loss of revenue. However,unless you yourself are operating some kind of illegal copying business ,or are heavily into P2P, it is extremely unlikely that you would ever be proceeded against.

Forum Editor 16:13 04 Jan 06

know that you may record films from transmission - it's been happening for years, and provided you do it for your own use only there's no problem. The copyright holders take that into account when they sell the transmission licence to the TV company.

Films downloaded from P2P sites are completely different - they are being distributed by people who have not paid any kind of copyright distribution licence fee to anyone......and that's illegal.

Shortstop 16:16 04 Jan 06

This is in danger of going the way that all P2P discussions go - a free for all. Unfortunately, the law does not see it the same way as you do. Where, for example, would you draw the distinction between someone being 'heavily' into P2P illegal downloading and just being a normal downloader?

The fact is that this is a revenue earner for some people and there is no realistic way for copyright protectors to identify whether the download is for personal use or whether you intend to run mass copies for sale. There is not, as far as I am aware, a limitation on the number of times you can register with a P2P which means that one person could have multiple names that they use to download. That one person can download 100's of films/audio tracks once per name and seem a small user, when the exact opposite is the truth - this is one of the issues that faces the law and the only way that this can be investigated is for ISP providers to give download details - and this costs money to request and investigate so need to be producing results.

I realise that there will be those who scream that they should be allowed to do this - and those on the other side of the fence who scream just as loudly. The fact is that it is illegal to copy films or audio tracks [even for personal use] as shown by the recent convictions. The fact that sometimes a 'blind eye' is turned to people who copy their favourite tracks to a single CD to play in their car or home does not alter this.

BR

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5