Illegal System DLL Relocation - how to fix?

Ms_Dial 20:02 05 Apr 07

Hi, it's me again. My new emachines continues to have the medley of graphic display problems (after a few hours of use the display of taskbar, icons, windows, menus and shut down option stops appearing on screen) and beginning Wednesday it began giving me this error message on start up:

RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocted in memory. The app will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\Windows\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

I googled the exe name and learned it's part of Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager, a program I've only opened once and did not use.

I've only had this pc since January, I've got AVG anti-virus on it currently and before it expired had the Mcafee antivirus program. I run disk clean daily and have defragged my pc, what could be causing all these errors? Anyone have an inkling? I'm really frustrated and at a loss here.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

VoG II 20:03 05 Apr 07
  gustar 20:15 05 Apr 07

Hi - soryy cannot help as i TOO have eactly the same message about 3 days ago -- i have been told it's dynamic link..something and that the problem is the system and should take it for repair (says the repairer) but this is very odd- i too take care of my windows xp (not vista)
i tried to a recent restore pint (and an earlier one) but neither were capable of being restored - when i told the repairer that he said that causes more problems anyway
if any one knows pls let me know also -gustar - thnks

Babou 00:15 06 Apr 07

Got this from somewhere else in the helproom (I had the same message, it's a Windows update glitch)

click here

Babou 00:16 06 Apr 07

oooooh sorry, just noticed VoG's link... duh

gustar 08:41 10 Apr 07

Babou - thank u - now resolved - strange that microsoft 'say' it's YOU (i.e. me) that has CHOSEN to download, inter alia, hotfixes / autmatic downloads (as 'they' recommend) and then it's OUR problem whan the downloads are wrongly created by 'them' - ah well
Happy Easter anyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5